Thursday, January 12, 2006

Scripture Memory

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.
-Colossians 3:16

Colossians. My favorite book of the Bible. It's the first one that really "came alive" for me in my own personal study. Good stuff.

But my time in the Word these last few months has not been happening. This is probably obvious from the topics of my posts. The truth of the matter is that when it isn't on your mind, you just don't live it out.

So, it isn't any accident that Heather's cousin asked her to join her in memorizing the Sermon on the Mount. And it's no coincidence that I read her blog, on which she invites others to join her. And it is not a mistake that the last piece of scripture that really spoke to me was part of said sermon.

So, I am joining Heather in memorizing these words of Jesus, in an effort to put my focus back on him and to let his word dwell richly in me.

If anyone would like to join, I am sure Heather would love to hear from you over at Heather's Thoughts. She explains how it will work over there. We start this week with Matthew 5:1-10.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

On a related note...
It is amazing how much scripture memorization was a part of Jewish life when Jesus was teaching. Every person committed the first five books of Moses to memory before they learned a trade... then they started in on the prophets.

Just think, everyone that Jesus was talking to on the Mount, was totally Biblically literate and when he referred to a scripture, even in passing, everyone GOT IT! Many a pastor in America would long for such an audience...

It is rather challenging to think what kind of audience you make, and what type of audience you are training your children to be.

Fri Jan 13, 07:09:00 AM  
Blogger Heather Hansen said...

You got as much response as I did! LOL

I want to tell you again I'm happy that you're doing this with me. :)

Fri Jan 13, 04:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home