Thursday, January 26, 2006

A Special Gift

This past weekend, Paul took the kids to the museum during what should have been Mr. Bug's nap time. So, as one might expect, he fell asleep in the van on the way home. When they got out of the car, Paul unbuckled Bug and left him there, with the van door open, so he could come in whenever he woke up.

When I went out to check on him, Bug was awake, and having a fit because he wanted his dad to carry him inside. I offered, but was rejected. So, I left him there and went back in the house.

Paul, who was sleeping on the couch, was awakened by Ms. Boo, who is far too nosy to not know what was going on. She informed him that Bug wanted him to carry him inside.

Paul, not altogether happy about being awakened (and probably not altogether awake) went out to bring in Bug.

Fast forward to 2 a.m. Sunday: Someone is knocking on our front door.

So, I do what every wife does when they hear someone knocking on the front door at 2 am. I nudge my husband and say "someone is knocking on the front door."

Again, Paul got up.

And as he is walking out to the living room I am thinking I'll bet we left the van door open and someone just wants to let us know.

Sure enough, it was a policeman. They were driving through the neighborhood and noticed the open door. And, after giving Paul a heads up that there have been several break-ins recently (thanks for that comforting thought at 2 am...) he tells Paul to look in the van and see if anything is missing.

Paul looks. Nothing is missing.

What Paul doesn't realize is that not only is there nothing missing, but there is actually something EXTRA in the van.

Fast forward to 9:30 Sunday morning:
Paul was already at church practicing for some special music. I am about to load the kids in the van when I throw open the van door only to be greeted by:

the overwhelming smell of cat urine.

How lovely.

Right in Ms. Bao's carseat.

So, I had to take Bao's carseat out of the car (which I wasn't excited about b/c that only means I will have to put it back in, and I HATE installing carseats) so I could remove the seat cover and try to wash it. I practically had to get out a toolbox to get the cover off the chair. I sprayed the cover with odor-remover, and then washed it with detergent and Arm and Hammer washing soda.

I can now report to you that the cover still smells like cat urine.

The moral of the story:
Don't go to the museum during your son's nap time... unless, of course, you LIKE the smell of cat pee.



Blogger Addie said...

Eewww! Yuck! Yuck! Yuck!

And why does that stuff always happen on Sunday mornings when you're trying to wrangle three kids into the van for church?!?

Thu Jan 26, 11:35:00 PM  
Anonymous mom a said...

Sounds a lot like a Dave Barry column.

Fri Jan 27, 01:16:00 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Your title and the "moral" had me laughing. And then I felt terrible - that is SO sad.

Fri Jan 27, 04:15:00 AM  
Blogger PEZmama said...

What's sad, Heather, that my van was peed in or that you found it funny? :)

Fri Jan 27, 08:27:00 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

BOTH! It's sad that your van was peed in and I laughed! I'm a bad person. LOL

Fri Jan 27, 02:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home