Sunday, January 22, 2006

Me and my Babe

I was out walking with Ms. Bao today. I took her around the neighborhood in the wagon. She sat and watched. Sometimes she'd "say" something. I'd turn around and smile at her every so often.

Walking with her reminded me of when I used to walk with Boo. Being that she was the first, it was always "just us." I remember one walk when she couldn't have been much past 18 months old. We walked along and I would say, "I see a pumpkin." And she would look everywhere until she found it. We played that the whole time we walked. "I see a flag." "I see a dog."

On walks during the previous summer, I remember how Boo would stop every time she heard a plane go by, because she wasn't sure where the noise was coming from. I got into the habit of pointing to the planes whenever we heard them. I would squat down next to her so I could get at eye level with her, then I would point up to the sky, and we would watch the plane go by. I can't even tell you how many times I did that.

After enough walks where I'd spotted planes for her, Boo finally figured it out. She was a few paces ahead of me when she heard a plane in the distance. Immediately, she squatted down, and pointed to the sky. I remember that because I thought it was so funny that she thought she had to "assume the position" in order to point out a plane!

I miss how little she was. I almost can't remember it. And I don't think I have much memory left of when it was just the two of us... except for our walks. And today, I was remembering them fondly.

Here is one of my favorite pictures of her. She is about 19 months old.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather Hansen said...

Sweet!

Sun Jan 22, 12:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's one of my favorite pics, too!

Sun Jan 22, 03:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home