Thursday, January 19, 2006

I cheated

The following is an exerpt from the "Chutes and Ladders" Rules:

Winning the Game
The first player to reach the Blue Ribbon Square #100 wins the game. You can get there 2 ways:
1. Land there by exact count. If your spin would take you past square #100, don't move. Try again on your next turn...

Ms. Boo and I were playing yesterday. I think Chutes and Ladders should be renamed "The Game that Never Ends." I went down two separate chutes, at least three times each.

Boo went down several herself.

Of course she got upset when I got to go up the biggest ladder. Because then I was winning. Not long after, I went down the longest chute too.

We traded places several times. I was ahead, but then I'd get sent down a chute. So she was ahead, until she went down another chute. The game went on and on and on.

Then Boo said she wanted to stop playing. Normally, this would have made me say, "No problem" and fold up the board immediately. But I could tell she wanted to quit because I was ahead, and she is a pretty poor sport about that kind of thing. So, in the interest of teaching her a valuable lesson about sportsmanship, I refused to quit.

And the suffering continued. Up a ladder, then down a chute twice as long.

Until I finally made it to square #96. I spun a "5."

Then I promptly counted out five spaces, ending my turn on an imaginary space in the margin of the game board.

"Oh, look, Boo," I said. "Mommy won."

Anyone familiar with Chutes and Ladders knows that there are pictures depicting children doing good deeds at every ladder, and naughty deeds at every chute. The directions proclaim "Climb up with a good deed" and "naughty deeds slide you back."

Well, there is no chute on the game board for cheating.

But don't worry. My punishment came in the form of a very whiney child who kept saying, "I NEVER get to win this game!" as she tossed game pieces angrily around the board.

Aye, aye, aye.

Is there a chute for throwing out your kids' toys when they aren't looking?

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Heather Hansen said...

I think that was a GREAT thing you did.

Fri Jan 20, 12:18:00 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Now I know why I stick to Battleship or cards, LOL. When the kids were little, I thought that Candy Land game would NEVER end. I was bored out of my mind. I don't think I ever played it much with my last two. Should I feel bad about that? Maybe there are just some things you can only gut out for the first kid or two!

Fri Jan 20, 12:20:00 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Oh, and kudos to you for helping your little one develop character! That's a sacrifice that will pay off in the years to come!

Fri Jan 20, 12:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Character at what price?!? The price of reducing yourself to a lier and a cheater. I hope I never "teach" my children character through my own selfishness and lack of character.

Fri Jan 20, 06:51:00 AM  
Blogger Addie said...

Serious comment - There are times as parents that we arrange a scenario in order to teach our children. When our children need self-confidence we arrange for positive situations (like cheating to let them win) that encourage pride in themselves. And when we see an area that they are struggling in, we arrange a scenario that we can use to teach them and guide them. We only get so many opportunities to show them a better way to respond. Your actions were neither selfish, nor did they reveal a lack of character.

Not so serious comment - When my daughter had some friends over she was pouting because they kept winning. So I took her upstairs and said in a very stern tough voice, "You will play every game with them that they want to play and you will smile and be happy for them when they win and you will like it!" As if I could force her to like it. However, since then, she has done a little better playing with others.

Fri Jan 20, 10:32:00 AM  
Blogger PEZmama said...

Addie, I wish I could say I arranged it with the intention of teaching L about sportsmanship, but I didn't. I just wanted to be done. I think I realized the conflict between my cheating and teaching Lainee about sportsmanship. It wasn't one of my better moments.

The funny thing is, I just wanted this post to be about how much I dislike Chutes and Ladders. So, thanks for the lively discussion.

Carry on...

Fri Jan 20, 11:25:00 AM  
Blogger Addie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Fri Jan 20, 12:03:00 PM  
Blogger Addie said...

I left out the word 'sue' in my last comment and since blogger won't let you edit your comments I just deleted it. It's the perfectionist in me. But now it looks as if I wrote a scathing comment...and I didn't.

What I wrote is:
Pez,

A. You Rock! You're so honest about yourself.

B. Why did they make Chutes and Ladders such a long game? I think it's a conspiracy to make you cheat!

C. I'm pretty sure that Lainee will not turn to a life of crime stemming from this incident! However, if she does, I'm pretty sure that you can somehow sue Milton-Bradley for making such a painful game.

Fri Jan 20, 12:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OHHHHHH! I too have a great disdain for the game Chutes and Ladders! And, I must admit.....if it goes on long enough...... Whether it is me, or my children, I get a little less diligent about counting the spaces....if they skip a couple, or if I need to skip a couple- go fer it! I get tired of "up and down!"
Candy Land is another one! Urk!
But, try playing Bible Trivia-
Who ever thought a BIBLE game could turn into a fleshy contest of "me win!" between the cute little guys! :-)
As far as character teaching- we have time for that when the game doesn't last as long as Monotony, I mean Monopoly! HA! :-)
Enjoyed your post.....more like completely related to it!

Fri Jan 20, 01:40:00 PM  
Blogger Heather Hansen said...

Why does it crack me up when people leave rude posts under anonymous? Like what they say holds some kind of weight but they can't identify themeselves. Truly I laughed!

Fri Jan 20, 02:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home