Thursday, May 13, 2004

I am my own worst enemy

The time of day when I have to start making dinner is probably my least favorite part of the day. It is impossible to get around the kitchen without stepping on a child. Mr. Bug gets particularly crabby as dinner time approaches. Add to this that I have been with the children all day... so my patience is usually wearing thin. Everyone is generally crabby and frustrated.

On a normal night, Paul would come home around this time and I can get some relief from the kids while he entertains them. Tonight, however, Paul had a track meet, so... I just kept tripping (both literally and figuratively.)

Now, most rational people would take all of these things into account and go for the easy meal, but NOT ME!

Today, as I was rummaging around trying to find something to eat, I saw that I had a bunch of mozzerella cheese in the freezer. Pizza, I thought. Great idea. But what would I use to make the crust? I had english muffins, and Ms. Boo liked making english muffin pizzas the last time we did it... but they were so gross. (More rummaging...) I thought I had a package of yeast... yes there it was. I decided I could make the dough from scratch.

But what about the sauce? We used spaghetti sauce last time, but that also tasted gross. (I grab my cookbook.) I had everything I needed to make sauce from scratch. So... off I go....

Yeast, flour, water, oil... knead the dough. pull J off leg. preheat oven. Brown the ground meat. let dough rise. pull Mr. Bug off leg. crush canned tomatoes, oregano, garlic, chop the onions, pepper. open can of mushrooms. put Bug in his bed. drain mushrooms. drain meat. clean table. flour table and roll out dough. add toppings. read recipe and realize that you were supposed to bake the dough 10 minutes before adding toppings. sigh. put pizza in oven. roll out second half of dough to make the pizza that you weren't even going to bother with until Boo threw a fit b/c you wouldn't let her help, and you yelled at her because she wasn't even supposed to be IN the kitchen, but should've been watching the tape that SHE ASKED FOR and staying out of the way like you told her, and now you feel bad, so you decide to make the second pizza anyway. put crust in oven. clean table. get Boo a paper towel so she can "help" clean too and maybe we can avoid another tantrum from the child who refused to nap today. clean the floor where Boo spilled flour when she was "helping." clean up mushroom can. clean up can of tomato sauce. No, Boo, you cannot have a snack now. clean meat spilled on stove. put away flour, garlic, oil. try to wake up Bug... no luck. get out plates. serve pizza. get out "shaking" cheese. Let Boo shake cheese by herself... enough said. see that none of the cheese is actually ON THE PIZZA. Reason w/ three-year-old that she doesn't need more cheese, but can use what is on her plate, all she has to do is dip her pizza in it. get fork. cut a piece of her pizza and demonstrate dipping. console child for next 2 minutes, profusely apologizing for cutting her pizza, and try to convince her that the piece cannot be reattached. wake up Bug cut piece of pizza for him. watch him eat some. spits out the rest... why? BECAUSE IT IS GROSS!

should've used the freakin' english muffins and spahetti sauce!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Luisa Perkins said...

My friend calls that time of day 'the arsenic hour.' With five kids, I know all too well why.

Wed Mar 07, 02:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home