Sunday, April 30, 2006

So ThaAAAt's how they get started...

I have written some posts recently about what I call "being present" with my kids throughout the day. My initial thoughts were sparked by Meagan's comment on this post over at Shalee's blog. My last post about this was just a simple list of things I do (or want to do) to improve my "presence" with my kids.

After reading it, Sarahgrace suggested that I tag some people and ask them to list their ideas for being present. I sat on the idea for a while because I thought I had to somehow qualify what being present means. I did, after all, just kind of make that up... and so who's to say that it really even means anything. (This is how I think, y'all. If I am going to ask people to make a list of things they should do with their kids, I think I should be able to defend why it's worthy of pursuing in the first place. Unfortunately, I can't. I am just too tired to think.)

So, before this topic gets too old, I will tag Sarahgrace and she can list all the things that she does or would like to do to be present with her kids. If you want to do the same, you can leave a link to your list in the comments section. Or, if you don't have a blog, you can post your list in the comments. As far as tagging other people, that is completely up to you.

I love some of the ideas that have been left already. Mary suggests listening to our kids with "smiling eyes." Robin comments about putting down the phone. Go crazy, ladies. Maybe someone could even DEFINE what being present means. Or find some scripture that applies. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

(And now, I know how these things get started.)

My apologies to those who subscribe to the feed. I am having trouble getting these links to work.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Addie said...

You know my kids give me options ALL THE TIME to be present with them. Do I take them up on those...uh, no, not so much!

I need to start saying "yes" more to my kids.

They won't be asking forever. Thanks for asking this Lori!

Mon May 01, 12:18:00 AM  
Blogger Looney Momâ„¢ said...

I was checking out the blogs on my friend Stephanie's blogroll
Home
and just felt I wanted to comment on this topic.

I think maybe being present isn't even enough - we have to be attentive. I know my kids could be 2 feet away pouring their hearts out, then it's not until I don't hear their voices anymore that I find myself asking "what did you say"? That's when I realize I just haven't been listening at all. Bad mommy.

So, now I have to stop what I'm doing and LOOK at them as they speak - then I HAVE to listen. It makes them feel like I care. I'm a poor listener - especially when I'm blogging!!!

Home

Mon May 01, 12:39:00 AM  
Blogger AMW said...

Hi Ive been reading your updated blog ever since I started mine, and I do also have a comment!!
I have realized that children grow up way to fast . There have been days where I dont even read a book or sit down once with my child to just enjoy the day.
I know I need to make a list and stick to it.
Im one of those persons who needs a schedule for everything so Im making my list today!! If you want to visit it my blog is http://momtofourangels.blogspot.com/ Have a very blessed day!!

Mon May 01, 06:49:00 AM  
Blogger PEZmama said...

Looney- I think you have hit on exactly what I am talking about when you say we need to be attentive. I have a hard time defining what being present means. But it's choosing to be part of their world. And being attentive is a huge part of that.

MTF- lists often work for me too. I hope using it will prove fruitful for you. Thanks for stopping by.

And now I must go because my kids are beckoning me... don't want to be hypocritical now, do I?

Mon May 01, 10:27:00 AM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

It might also be, not just choosing to be part of their world, but including them in ours. Kids are conducive to being real productive, but there are later years for that.

I'm not sure "multi-tasking" and "being present" can happen at the same time...

Mon May 01, 10:05:00 PM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

Sorry - I meant kids are NOT conducive...

Mon May 01, 10:05:00 PM  
Blogger sarahgrace said...

Okay...I will get my post up asap (probably tomorrow) with my "being present" ideas and so on...

Tue May 02, 05:58:00 PM  
Blogger boomama said...

And, in the spirit of this meme that you've started, I'm tagging you for another one. :-) See my blog for details...and you can completely ignore this summons if you wish.

Wed May 03, 07:21:00 PM  
Blogger Luisa Perkins said...

This is a crucial concept for all parents to understand. A few months ago I stopped even answering the phone between 3pm and 7pm, so that I can be as focused as possible on the kids, their needs and desires, and their dinner. Thanks for your insights, as always!

Tue Mar 20, 09:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home