Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Six Weird things about me

Okay, well, Addie tagged me to do a meme - six weird things about me. I often read these lists and I think, "well, that's not so weird" because I know that a lot of people do the same things. So, I am trying to think of things that I do that few others could say they do too. But, in order for it to be considered WEIRD, I imagine that it must also be something that doesn't have a good explanation.

There are a few things that I do which I think would gross people out. They are definitely weird, but I don't think this would be the best place to share them.

Here's what I thought of:
1. I do this thing every (and I mean EVERY) time I eat cereal. While I am chewing, I hold the end of the spoon handle so that the tip rests in the space between my index finger and my middle finger. Then, I shake the spoon so that it alternately hits the first knuckles of said fingers.

Why I do this, I have no idea. I do it without even thinking. Why I only do this with cereal is totally beyond me. And I only do it with the silverware we have here at our house, I guess because it "fits" in my hand right.

2. I talk to myself*. I haven't noticed myself doing it much lately. But, when I was in college I would walk around campus (alone) and realize that I had been talking to myself for the last 5 minutes. (No wonder I couldn't get any dates, eh?)

3. I can't sit still. My hands have to be doing something - and it usually involves sticking something underneath my fingernails. (Nothing painful) For example, I can think of times I have gone to a bridal shower at church where there is confetti on the tables. If I get to talking with someone for a while, I will, without realizing it, pick up a piece of confetti, and continually fit it under a nail, remove it, do it again. It works during church with the smooth corners of my Bible pages or the edge of a bulletin too. (I think this is why I am always picking at my lips too. Oh, wait, is that gross? Sorry. But I do that without noticing most of the time too.)

4. Any small finger food that is "countable" is eaten only in even numbers. (I am not obsessive about it, though I think I was moreso at one time. I don't feel frazzled if it doesn't work out in even numbers, but I do prefer it that way.) And I have to give equal chew time to each side of my mouth.

5. I speak nonsense to my children. When I say "nonie noons" they know exactly what this means.

6. When I am chewing cereal (what is it with cereal?) and reading the box at the same time, I chew the syllables of the words. Like one chew is one syllable, or if I want to read faster, I allow a syllable for every time my jaw opens or closes. (Does that make sense?)

7. Hey, I'm on a roll. I see things around me and I often think that there must be a mathematical equation to describe it. Sometimes I even try to figure it out. Sometimes I just try to figure out the gist of it. Like the time there was a truck driving in front of me with tires that were obviously too big. So as I drove along, I had to try to figure out if that would cause his odometer to read too high, or too low. And in that case, it would have bugged me if I didn't figure it out right then and there.

8. I go absolutely stark, raving mad if I have to wear shoes with laces for too long. I have one pair of sneakers and I can't wear them an entire day. I wore them for about 4 1/2 hours yesterday and by the end of it I could tell I was fast approaching my limit. All my other shoes are slip ons.

9. Sometimes I count my steps. I'll get up to some ridiculous number before I think "why are you doing this?"

10. If I am really paying attention, I will occasionally count the number of stairs in a flight. I don't do this very often though, because if the number ends up being odd, I feel "lopsided" for a while. If I notice that I am doing something like starting a repetetive task with my right foot, I will often start doing it with my left to give it equal time.

11. Sometimes I try to name all fifty states. Just to see if I can.

You can read about some of these and a few others in this post from long ago.

*see comments

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Addie said...

This is exactly why I tagged you. You're just this smarty smart girl who thinks in smarty smart ways. (how smart did that sound?) I just knew you'd be able to come up with some good ones!!!

I talk to myself too. Although, I've never done it in public...that I know of at least.

I also like for everything to be even too. (food, flights of stairs.)

Oh, and you've just made me think of another one. Not that it has anything to do with your list, except it just a weird way I think of things.

Tue Apr 18, 05:04:00 PM  
Blogger boomama said...

Your #7 is fascinating to me. I would like to read a whole post on just that, I think. What DID you figure out about the truck with the big tires? It kind of makes my head hurt to try to think about it, but in a good way.

I cannot wear shoes with laces all day, either, which is why I go insane when I get the FlyLady emails asking me if I'm dressed to lace-up shoes, because NO, I'm NEVER dressed to lace-up shoes unless I'm going walking. I'm a total flipflop girl.

And as soon as I do my laundry experiment, I'll let you know. :-)

Tue Apr 18, 07:06:00 PM  
Blogger PEZmama said...

Addie - I should clarify. In my mind, I was never really talking with myself. More like having a conversation with someone else who wasn't actually there. Odd, I know. But I guess since there really WASN'T anyone there, it would qualify as talking to myself.

Boomama - if a truck's tires are too big, it will have an odometer that reads lower mileage than the truck has actually traveled... if I figured that out right, anyway!

Tue Apr 18, 08:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The spoon/cereal thing you've done since the time you mastered feeding yourself cereal. The talking-to-someone-not-there is something everyone in the family (except Krista)does. I've won every argument I ever had with Dad when he wasn't around to rebut.
I've often thought that if we talked to God as often as we talk to "someone" the world would be a lot better off.
You're my girl!

Tue Apr 18, 11:51:00 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Great list! Although, I think anyone with a degree in chemistry has to look at the world in a mathemetical equation!! Good ones, and I do #9 sometimes too.

Wed Apr 19, 01:51:00 AM  
Blogger PEZmama said...

Well, I guess the spoon thing isn't dependent on the silverware I have here at home. I never noticed I did this until just a few months ago... apparently I have been clueless for a long time.

And, just so you know, I have been doing the syllables/chewing thing for as long as I have been reading cereal boxes.

Wed Apr 19, 10:58:00 AM  
Blogger Heather Hansen said...

Can I help it if I laughed? Ha ha ha ha! Those are wierd.

I WISH we lived near each other!

Wed Apr 19, 02:16:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can totally relate to the chewing on the syllables! I have done that but I never though to tell anyone! :)

Wed Apr 19, 03:56:00 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

I'm sitting here trying not to bust out over some of those as my little is sleeping in the next room. Why is it when you are really trying not to laugh, it gets worse? Anyway, great list. I don't even notice other cars on the road. I'm still too busy answering "Why" questions from my 4 yr old!!!!

Wed Apr 19, 08:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lori! I just remembered tonight about your blog, so I thought I'd read it. Oh, and about the mathematical equation thing: I don't do that, but I always take people's addresses I see while I'm driving and try to add/subtract/multiply/divide the numbers together to get them to equal 1 through as high as I can go in order. I've done that for as long as I can remember.

Sarah (your niece)

Wed Apr 19, 11:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home