Wednesday, June 13, 2007

And the Winner Is...


Luisa. She guessed I was at the US Open, and she guessed right. All forty million bonus points are hereby conferred upon her.

It. Rocked.

So let me just begin this post by saying thank you to my husband who took me and arranged everything. I love him anyway, but he makes it so much easier when he does cool things like this.

Here I am in front of the clubhouse:
It was an incredible event. I was amazed to see how many things needed to be coordinated just so that we could watch. Truly, truly amazing. And that wasn't even the best part. The players were the best part! It was actually quite easy to get a close-up view of them. So close, in fact, that you could say something like "who is that guy?" to your husband and that guy would actually be able to hear you! (Not that I would ever say anything so uncouth. I am just confessing speaking hypothetically.)

But the cool part about going to a practice round is that when you get up close like that, you can take lots of pictures. Some of the players would even look your way if you called out their names. I have pictures of Stuart Appleby, Scott Verplank, Justin Leonard, Sergio Garcia, defending champ Jeff Ogilvy, Darren Clark, Davis Love III, Jim Furyk (Sports Illustrated's pick to win it this year), and Retief Goosen. (And if I could have gotten a picture of Ian Poulter's red, plaid pants for you, you know I would have posted it. You know I would.)

Oh my was it fun.

But you know what the best part was?



PHIIIIIIIIIIIIL!

And don't think that I didn't call out his name. Because I did. Oh, yes I did. I yelled "GO, PHIL!"

During a PRACTICE ROUND.

Because, as you know, practice rounds weigh heavily in the final score on Sunday afternoon, and I needed to spur on my favorite player to V.I.C.T.O.R.Y. Paul said he was a little surprised that I yelled. But it was Phil Mickelson.

Phil. MICKelson.

I simply could not help myself.

Mr. Mickelson, as it turns out, was not so easy to get close to because he was being followed everywhere he went by about seventy gazillion people. (He is the #2 golfer in the world, y'know.) And while approaching the eleventh tee, where I was poised to take his picture as he walked the path in front of a tree, he did a tricky little move whereby he ducked behind the tree. So, I took the picture you see as he walked down the eleventh fairway with some guy that I don't know. (Don't worry, I kept quiet that time.)

And if you don't know which one of those guys is Phil Mickelson, then you are not allowed to read my blog any longer.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger ShaggaBear (Linda) said...

I'm assuming it's the guy on the left, cause he has those niffty golfing gloves. Or it was cold that day?

Sorry, my love for golf stopped with my dear departed grandfather. When he was alive, that's all we watched. Jack somebody and Tom somebody else. You get the picture.

Glad you had fun!!

Wed Jun 13, 11:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think Paul could come east and take me to a Yankee game? I hope you both had a wonderful time!!

Thu Jun 14, 01:16:00 AM  
Blogger boomama said...

PHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL!

HOW COOL!

Thu Jun 14, 01:30:00 AM  
Blogger Luisa Perkins said...

I knew it, I knew it! How fun for you!

I'd say more, but those bonus points are burning a hole in my pocket....

Thu Jun 14, 06:33:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention how amazing it was that you could walk in on two different people trying to use a port-o-john. The little boy was so stunned, well, I'm sure we can all imagine what that port-o-john looks like now!

Thu Jun 14, 07:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is SO. COOl. My husband would love to go to something like that!

I am glad you had fun! :)

Thu Jun 14, 09:12:00 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I DO know which one Phil is! We went to Kingsmill once. Hubby would love to do something like that again.

Thanks for the info you emailed me! I took your advice, and I agree with you on st*tcounter.

Thu Jun 14, 09:50:00 AM  
Blogger Deena Peterson said...

bbbbbbut I like reading your blog...if I run out and google him real quick, then can I come back and read:-)???

Thu Jun 14, 04:40:00 PM  
Blogger Noodle said...

Hey, I was going to guess the US Open, but I couldn't remember if it was at Oakmont this year. :)

I sat next to ol' Phil in a restaurant once, when he was playing in town. I almost couldn't eat because I kept thinking, "That's PHIL!"

LOL

Thu Jun 14, 06:51:00 PM  
Blogger Shalee said...

So glad you had a great time, especially with your man. (I mean your husband, even if you read that to be Phil.) Just trying to keep you on the straight and narrow, Lori.

You're welcome.

Wed Jun 20, 04:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home