Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Another Book Review. YIPEEEEEE!

Well, I posted a few weeks ago about the books I was working through. Of the three that I listed, only one is now completed. As I mentioned yesterday, Made to Stick was due back at the library today, and I refused to renew the book even once. So I finished the last 38 pages last night and returned it to the library this morning.

The book was interesting and boring at the same time. It was full of all sorts of stories about how people got their ideas to "stick" in others' minds. Those were really fun to read: how the Texas government got tough, pickup driving men to care about litter; how army commanders empower their subordinates to make decisions during war time; how a small Kansas town of 35,000 is home to a newspaper that sells 43,000 copies every day. Fun stories. Interesting stories.

But the narrative about what all these stories have in common? Not so interesting.

Overall, an okay read. But I can't really tell you that you need to pick this one up any time soon. Or ever, really.

Now I still have three books that I am working through, because those McArthur books did arrive from Amazon, and I started one of them before I even finished with Made to Stick. Why do I do this? I am terrible at finishing a book when I have more than one going at a time.

Why, WHY?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Luisa Perkins said...

I'm so glad you do this. Made to Stick is hereby crossed off my list.

What are the three you have going now?

Tue Jun 05, 06:43:00 PM  
Blogger Noodle said...

This sounds like one I'd like. I like case stories like these. LOL! I absolutely LOVED Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point, and this sounds similar.

Tue Jun 05, 09:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home