Friday, May 18, 2007

Something Lighter for a Friday

Here is what I am reading:

The Hiding Place. Nothing really, really terrible had even happened yet, when I finished one chapter right before bed one night. Before closing the book, I glanced at the title of the next chapter: "Storm Clouds Gather." I could not go to sleep that night. I had a terrible pit in my stomach and thought at one point that I might actually get sick. I stopped reading this book before bed after that. I am finding great joy in the fact that I have not been walking around all this time with awful thoughts of tragic and unbearable events happening to me and my family. This, my friends, is a sign that my depression is still in a far away place...where it belongs... I still have about 100 pages left of this one. I am confident I will get it finished. (By the way, this is the 241-page book I referred to at the end of my Wild Swans post. The one I thought I'd finish in a few days. But you knew I wouldn't, right?)

Made to Stick. I don't know if I will finish this one, though this is not to say it is uninteresting. I picked it up because it caught my eye at the library. (And why wouldn't it? The cover is bright orange.) I was interested in reading the true accounts of how different people have been able to make their ideas "stick." The authors try to find the common denominators amongst these ideas, which isn't of great interest to me. Come to think of it, maybe it is. Surely this information will be useful to me when I begin the indoctrination component of my plan for world domination. Sweeeeet serendipity! Mwaaah-ha-ha-ha-ha!

The Divine Conspiracy. Been wanting to read this one for a long time. And I will be reading it for a long time as well, given that it is 436 pages long. I really think this whole "ridiculously long book" thing should be illegal. But I soooo want to know what this one is about. So far, and by that I mean: not even done with the forty page first chapter, it has been interesting but a bit dry and sometimes I don't know the meanings of the words he uses. This, however, is nothing new to me. I am pretty confident that this book will pick up in later chapters, though, and I will be back here when I am done telling you that every Christian on the planet should read it. Of course, you won't, because no one likes to read stuff I pick out, and you will be contributing to my already overdevelped feelings of isolation in this cold, cold blogosphere, but that's okay. I'm used to that too... (Hat tip to Leslie AKA, my only other bloggy friend who reads "my" kind of books, for bringing this book to my attention.)

Soon to arrive from Amazon, Hard to Believe, and What the Bible Says About Parenting, both by John(ny fresh) MacArthur.

I guess I'd better get reading.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Shalee said...

Keep reading The Hiding Place... All I can say is that other than the Bible, I've not read such an encouraging book! And the fact that she can see God's hand in everything (before and after events) is such a powerful, uplifting revelation that helps me when I feel "burdened".

Fri May 18, 04:44:00 PM  
Blogger Luisa Perkins said...

What are you TALKING about--no one likes to read those kinds of books? I have put MANY of your recommendations on my own list. I'll stop shouting now.

Johnny Fresh--tee hee!

The Hiding Place is one of my favorites.

Sat May 19, 07:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home