Monday, May 14, 2007

Weight For Meeeee!

Okay. So I haven't posted since my last weight update. What can I say? I just haven't been in the bloggy state of mind, lately.

But it's time to do my weight post, so at least you will get to hear all the exciting weight-loss details you can handle.

And then some.

So, without further ado: the weight loss update.

I have been walking a lot. A little over 2.5 miles for six days this last week. For me that works out to about 45 minutes of walking each night. Briskly. Paul got me a pedometer for mothers day. When I walked last night I was very encouraged to find that my route was over 5300 steps. WOW.

Part of why I have been so willing to walk is because it has been some sweet time alone with God. I posted previously about how God is revealing to me that I need to pursue holiness in several areas of my life. My eating habits is one of those. The walking has been some great time to, among other things, ask God to help me make choices that please him as well as plan out how I will handle situations in the following week.

Primarily, this planning has to do with desserts. Sad, but true. Last night, I looked to the week ahead and I realized that I will have two dessert opportunities. I have already decided which one I think will be more appealing, and exactly how much I will be eating when that time comes. The only thing I don't like about this particular opportunity is that coffee will not be available. So, if it really doesn't interest me when the time comes, I will forego dessert altoghether and hold off for something better.

Dessert-eating went pretty well this past week. I actually started passing them up before my last post. I think I went a whole week without one! I even went to a big, overdone, gala event (not kidding) in which the desserts were on the table from the moment we sat down and all through dinner. They were all fancy and whatnot. But you know what? I took ever the tiniest taste of mine and decided it wasn't even close to good enough for my one dessert this week. (Maybe God was looking out for me - the fact that they didn't contain any chocolate made them so much easier to pass up.)

I messed up on Friday, however, and ate two roasted marshmallows with the family after dinner... I HATE marshmallows, but Paul got them toasted to this perfect shade of light brown and I was tempted. Stupid. The whole time I was eating them I thought You hate marshmallows, stop eating them. But I did eat two. Then we went out for ice cream. (We are real healthy folk around here.) I got a single scoop. I ate it slowly and even ordered the coffee to go with it. It really does make dessert so much more enjoyable for me.

And I had three small pieces of dessert at the Chinese buffet on mothers day. So, I ate too much dessert this week, but not nearly as much as I would have in the past. I think I can do better this coming week and keep it to only one.

As for the other stuff, I am doing well with eating only when I am hungry, and keeping portions small enough that I am not eating past full. When I am hungry, and it isn't meal time, I have put small portions into a bowl rather than eating from the package. I make sure I take several bites out of my fruit chips when I eat them, instead of putting the whole chip in my mouth. What I DO need to start doing is drinking water when I feel hungry for a snack. I can eat later if I still feel hungry, but the extra water may help curb the hunger until the next meal.

And now, for the fun part. My weight.

First, I messed up. I should have weighed in on Tuesday morning. That was my plan but I forgot. I was probably holding a grudge against our brand new scale. The old scale kept telling me I was right at 150 pounds. Granted, it was a hard to read dial type of scale, but it sure looked like 150 pounds to me.

(At this point, if you are thinking, WOW Lori weighs 150 pounds, then in the interest of full disclosure, I should also tell you that I am also 5' 1".)

That was a joke. (I'm not that tall.)

Anyway, on Monday night, I stepped on the scale. It was completely out of curiosity - just wanted to see how the new scale worked. I waited for the little digital numbers to finish their flashing, then looked at the scale and promptly told it to "shut up."

152.5 lbs

Thank you. Thank you very much.

So that's where I was on Tuesday when I conveniently forgot to weigh myself in. When Wednesday morning rolled around, I had already eaten breakfast when I realized I needed to weigh myself. So I step on the scale. 149.0

Now, I know people say that you need to weigh yourself in the morning, but for real? That much difference?

All this to say (and yes, there was a reason I was telling you this) that I DON'T ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT MY STARTING WEIGHT IS. That makes the calculation of pounds lost a little difficult. I could take the average of my two "weigh ins" and say that my starting weight is 150.5, but somehow that just doesn't feel right.

So, I weighed myself this morning. (I've decided to do weigh-ins on Monday mornings.) I did it before breakfast. 148.5

I don't know if I have actually lost weight this week, but there you have it. I am going to use 148.5 as my "starting weight."

And now you can all breathe a big sigh of relief because this post is finally over. I promise not to be so verbose next time.

Click here for the link to the current post for the "May Day Weight Loss Challenge."

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Melzie said...

sometimes when I sleep in I lose 1 lb in like 3 hrs more of sleep :) I love morning weight. xoxo melzie

Mon May 14, 05:57:00 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

First of all, Yay for YOU!! Secondly, it doesn't matter what your starting weight was, really. Just always weigh yourself at the same time of the day and on the same scale. Then you will, at the very least, know how much you've lost.

My scale says I'm three pounds lighter than any other scale I get on (thank God for small miracles), so I just always go by it in the morning. If it shows I've lost a few then whoohoo. If not, I stop making googly eyes at it and threaten to have it replaced immediately.

Mon May 14, 07:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home