Monday, May 07, 2007

Mini Me

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Well, here it is, folks. I have joined the May Day Weight Loss Challenge. From now through September you will get to hear weekly updates about my attempts to lose weight. This may not be such fun for my readers, but I am really hoping that it will be a motivator for me. It may seem strange, but I really want a little button for my sidebar that says I lost 5 pounds. Or ten.

Or more.

Cuz you know what? I am tired of jiggling when I walk. And I am tired of my pants feeling too tight. Also, my family has a history of diabetes, and that's one part of my heritage in which I would prefer not to participate.

However, I am not a fan of the "diet" per se. So, here's the plan, Stan:

  • Exercise at least four times each week for at least 40 minutes. (Preferably 5 times each week.)
  • Eat only when I feel hungry.
  • Increase water intake.
  • Try to eat 7-8 servings of fruits/vegetables every day.
  • No eating past 9:30 in the evening.
  • I am going to have a really, REALLY hard time with this, but I am going to cut out desserts on all but one night a week. Since this is probably my biggest challenge, I have a sub-set of plans for dessert eating:
    • limit myself to one serving
    • make sure there is coffee to go with dessert because this ALWAYS makes it so much more enjoyable, and I am going to milk my once a week indulgence for all it is worth
    • eat when I am not distracted so I don't end up snarfing it down and then want more because I "missed it" the first time
    • eat slowly
    • to avoid temptation during other times of the week, I am not going to keep desserts around the house
    • when I do get the urge for sweets during the week, I will eat some fruit (but only if I am actually hungry.)
  • Revise as necessary.
My goal:
  • "It'll do" - lose 10 pounds
  • "I'm happy" - lose 15 pounds
  • "YAHOO!" (the exclamation, not the website) - lose 20 pounds
If anyone would like to offer encouragement, please do. If you want to join, or see the list of others who have, click on over to Tales from the Scales.

Peace out y'all.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Luisa Perkins said...

You go, girl! Your plan seems very reasonable. I'll be watching you....

Tue May 08, 07:05:00 AM  
Blogger Addie said...

"Go Lori!

You can do it!

It's your birthday!

Tell your momma!"

And there ends my vast knowledge of the cheerleading world. :D

Go girl!

Tue May 08, 12:21:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome to the challenge!! Your goals sound fantastic!

Tue May 08, 01:47:00 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Wow - it sounds like you have a great handle on this already! Good for you! I look forward to being on this journey "together". Good Luck!

Tue May 08, 03:29:00 PM  
Blogger Thea @ It's Me Vs. Me said...

That sounds like an awesome plan! Good for you.

And I used to collect PEZ dispensers, too. At the height of my collection, I had over 200 of them. Now they have been reduced to the contents of a basket my kids play with.

Yay. Anyway. Good luck!!

Tue May 08, 09:07:00 PM  
Blogger Luisa Perkins said...

PS ;) -- I forgot to write how much I cracked up at the title of this post.

Thu May 10, 07:06:00 AM  
Blogger Shalee said...

Lori! Lori! Lori! (chant to cheer you on)

I've been feeling the same way, so we've started walking and I'm determined to eat smaller portions. The increase of water and vegetable is also on the to do list.

I'll be waiting to hear the "YAHOO!" all the way to Kansas soon!

Thu May 10, 10:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home