Tuesday, May 15, 2007

.121

I just wrote a post that has gone the way of most of my posts of late: unpublished.

I probably wrote ten paragraphs. And deleted six.

All of it to say: I am in a slump.

Weighty things are being processed in my head. I want to write about them, but I wonder if I have any "platform" for doing so. I wonder if it is wise for me to put those thoughts out here right now.

Nothing controversial, I don't think. Just.... well, weighty.

I'm not a "theme" blogger. No one who reads this knows what they are going to get when they click over here. But there are other blogs out there where "Advice and Wisdom" is dispensed regularly and deemed meaningful and applicable by all manner of readers. I don't necessarily want to have one of those blogs, but I am wondering how those bloggers get their voice, so to speak. How do they get an audience of readers who really value whatever it is they decide to say?

When God is teaching you things, how do you know when you have grasped them fully enough to speak with some degree of authority about those things? How do you know if the things God is teaching you are for you alone, or if they have application for other people?

This post not withstanding, I have this notion that I'd like my blog to be a little bit less about processing thoughts, and a little more about laying out some thoughts that have already been processed and promoted to convictions. How do you write about those things without sounding self-righteous? Do you write about them at all?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Luisa Perkins said...

Personally, I far prefer the processing to the processed. I never read 'advice' blogs; I find them singularly unhelpful.

For me it seems that God will teach me an idea in abstract, then give me a life lesson so that I can really learn it. Then I'll get a few more lessons until it is ingrained in me.

And sometimes God gives me a pop quiz on material we covered years ago, just to see whether I remember what went on then.

I'm much more interested in people with questions than those who have answers. To me, the gospel is so rich and infinite, that if you start thinking you know it all on one point, you close yourself off to further inspiration in that area. I try to remain teachable.

You never sound self-righteous, one of the many reasons I adore you.

Wed May 16, 07:11:00 AM  
Blogger Jeana said...

I heard someone once say that anyone who speaks with authority and confidence will gather a group of followers, no matter how ludicrous his ideas. (It's true. Think Hitler.)

Some of the people you are referring to DON'T have any credentials, they just do it. Others, I think, speak from their own experience or in response to questions from their readers.

I often write about things as they're forming, I just don't state it as fact. I say, "I wonder" or "It occurs to me". Also, I bounce them off my husband before I write. Many things have gone to the recycle bin this way.

Wed May 16, 09:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home