Saturday, September 03, 2005

Wise Decision

This evening the whole family travelled over to Hellion's (AKA Helen) house for a lovely evening of food, folks, and fun. On the drive home, which is about 50 minutes, any doubt I had about the wisdom of leaving the kids here while we go to China, was erased. We made a wise decision.

I love my daughter. I love that she is curious and funny. I love that she has developed different ways of expressing herself - hand gestures, facials expressions, sound effects, and altering the tone of her voice. Really, she's a hoot.

But not in a car. On a 50 minute trip.

She talked almost the entire way. And she asked a million questions. I always answer her questions, because I don't want to dampen her curiosity. But the questions just kept on coming. And my dear husband, who is a delightful man, allowed me to field every. single. one.

Why does Helen work on Saturday?

Why can't I see any boots here?

When you go to Helen's, without me and Bug, does Zeke stay outside?

Does Zeke make you sneeze?

What if I don't know any kids in my class tomorrow?

Why didn't we see tall buildings in the city?

Can I wear this shirt tomorrow?

Why did I have only brownies and not ice cream?

What shoes will I wear tomorrow?

Of course, every answer I gave just made her ask more questions.... or state more observations...

Kelly and Danny didn't use the bathroom last night...

William is going to say naughty words to the kids in his class...

It's really a miracle I didn't jump out of the moving car. Finally, I had to put the top on. I told her she could ask me two more questions and then I would be done answering questions until tomorrow. She came up with:

Why do people always, sometimes have a birthday at the same time as me?

and

Who wouldn't have noses?

As I answered these, I envisioned myself on a plane with her for 13 hours. And living in a hotel for 2 weeks without her bike, her sand box, or a yard to run around in. I think I realized a long time ago that those conditions would drive her crazy. It wasn't until tonight that I realized it would drive ME crazy too.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WELL? Who wouldn't have noses?

Sun Sep 04, 04:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should have told her that little girls who ask too many questions sometimes lose their noses when they stick them where they don't belong.

Mon Sep 05, 02:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home