Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Olympic Highlights

Okay, who watched the finals of the pairs figure skating?

I will admit that I root for Chinese athletes.

One pair from China attempted, for the first time ever in competition, a quad throw. She has apparently landed it in practice about 50% of the time. But during their long program, she fell HARD on her knee. When she got up, it looked at first as if she wouldn't even be able to skate off the ice.

Then they finished the routine.

And seeing them do their routine after attempting something so gutsy and taking such a nasty fall... that was awesome. It was more fun to watch than the tentative Russian pair who won the gold.

And the Chinese pair won the silver medal. How cool is that? How crazy cool!

The Chinese went 2,3,4 in that event. THE CHINESE! IN FIGURE SKATING!!! I'll be interested to see how they fare at the next Olympics, b/c it looks like they might be turning into a force in that sport. And having heard the stories about how difficult life is for an elite athlete in China, I think it would be fantastic to see them win.

I have no idea why this is such a big deal to me. But I love figure skating... and I guess I do have a soft spot in my heart for the Chinese too!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Help I am stuck in the cold war and I can't get out. I always root for communist bloc countries to fall or screw up in some way. Not very charitable, I know, but my human frailty none-the-less. I think it was from my parents rooting for Debbie Thompson over Katarina Witt in the late 80s (ok I just dated myself AND admitted to watching figure skating, ouch!)

Tue Feb 14, 06:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe the world would be a better place if we all rooted FOR rather than against.

Wed Feb 15, 12:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home