Friday, February 24, 2006

Understatements

- An opportunity to speak to a group of "church" women has presented itself. To say that I am excited in an understatement.

- I found my glasses, which I have been looking for since Wednesday night, when I had to leave for church without them and squint to see the power point outline through the entire service despite the fact that I was only three rows back. I took them off when I put the boy to bed on Tuesday and left them on his headboard. I knew it was stupid when I did it, and I also knew that I'd forget to bring them out of the room when I left. No problem, because one of the kids brought them out for me... only didn't tell me where they put them. I found them on the floor in Bao's room. To say that I am glad that they didn't get stepped on is, again, an understatement.

- I am wondering about the wisdom of posting my kids' names and photos on this blog. I didn't do pictures for a long time, but then the digital camera thing made it too easy. I know a lot of people do it. And I know someone who really wanted information could find it anyway. But to say that it's been on my mind a lot lately is an understatement.

- Maybe I like making trouble for myself. But to say that I am again concerned about Bao's attachment is a (major) understatement.

- I am enjoying the discussion going on in the comments of my "okay, I'll bite" post. Scroll down. I am too lazy to link to it right now. It is making me think, and I need that. To say that it is challenging me is an understatement.

- I am looking forward to tomorrow. After Paul gave me my perfect day (the day before Thanksgiving... you can find out about it in my archives... again, too lazy to link) it kinda seemed like a good idea (to both of us, I think) to make it a little more of a regular thing. I don't know how regularly it will happen. But I am going to leave tomorrow morning and be by myself, stay in a hotel and meet up with the family again at church on Sunday. This is such a huge thing for me. To say I am thankful is an understatement.

- I am in a funk right now, characterized by the predominant thought that I am a sham. I like to talk all Jesus-like, but I am really not all that devoted to him in real life, and I am more concerned about myself than I am about him. To say that God will be dealing with me in that hotel room is... well, you know...

Later peeps.

3 Comments:

Blogger Addie said...

I totally understand the kid one too. I love posting pictures but I'm thinking I shouldn't have used the kids names either. I'm considering going back and changing all my archived post. Unfortunately, that would take you a long time since you've been blogging a bit longer than me! :P

Anyhoo, I love seeing pictures of my blogging friends and their kids, but I totally understand, I'm thinking the same thing. I did close my flickr pictures to the public for now. I heard a story about another blogger's daughter, that scared me a little so anyway!

I've also enjoyed the discussion on "OK, I'll bite". It's been fun to read. You should feel more comfortable doing those now...huh?!?

Fri Feb 24, 12:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the sham party! I don't think anyone walks with the Lord for any length of time without that feeling.

Recently, I heard a different take on our feelings (no not the caboose of the train thing;-).

Introspection and Praise are opposites. Praise is focussed on God and what He has done for us and giving thanks for that. Introspection is focussing on ourselves. (Warning!: Do not take this advice to the extreme or serious personal injury could result)

Don't take this as advice that I am giving (sooooo not qualified!!) but rather as food for thought. This is not to say that we should just praise the Lord and ignore how we are doing, but it seems introspection is the spirit of the age. We have to be careful that we don't just fall into an introspective funk and forget what God has done for us. Praise your way out of depression??

Mon Feb 27, 06:54:00 AM  
Blogger PEZmama said...

Ahh, feelings.

Joe, you make an interesting point. Right now I am learning to "ask" my feelings if they are telling me anything legitimate.

Example: if I feel hurt by something someone says, why? Do I need to change something? Or, if I am telling myself that I am a sham, is it because I have poor self image or because I really am a sham?

I think this is the kind of introspection is useful for me.

And, I am using my other blog to force myself to recognize the many ways God is working in my life... it isn't exactly praise, but it is helping me to adjust my focus.

Mon Feb 27, 09:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home