Tuesday, November 14, 2006

It is Fall, Indeed

I have been looking for a good recipe for butternut squash soup. I saw this recipe at World's Healthiest Foods. It piqued my interest; sounded so tasty. So, I tried it. Even bought the coconut milk and fresh ginger it calls for.

It was disgusting.

But the idea of butternut squash soup kept haunting me. It seemed like butternut squash would make such a delicious soup. I searched this morning for some recipes and found that there are quite a few. But, since the squash I wanted to use had already been cut open (to make that other soup) and I wanted to use it TODAY, I had to find a recipe that didn't require ridiculous incredients, like creme fraiche. (Yes, there was actually one that called for this.) Not only did I not want to go out and buy new stuff, but I also refused to try another recipe only to find that it too was disgusting, and be left with a bunch of ingredients that I will never use again. (I have coconut milk in my freezer right now. I'll NEVER use it, but I just can't stand the thought of throwing it out...)

I was delighted to find a recipe that fit these criteria, and also used apples. This is appropriate considering the season, but for my needs as well, since I have a few apples that have been sitting around for almost too long. The recipe that I found also says you can use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. This is an added bonus for me, of course, because my poultry-allergic husband could conceivably try the soup, and, provided Venus is appropriately aligned with Mars, he might like it, making this recipe a KEEPER in my "trying to serve more healthful foods to my family" repertoire.

I cooked up a batch much smaller than this recipe yields, so there is a very real possibility that I didn't get the ingredient proportions correct (I didn't measure.) But, folks, it is downright tasty. Delightful, I tell you. In fact, I have already eaten two bowls.

I have yet to consult my astrological charts to determine the future of this recipe around my house. But for now, it's a winner.

If you would like to try it, you can find it here.

4 Comments:

Blogger Shalee said...

Okay, even I would try that...

Tue Nov 14, 03:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to make soups. Mom makes the best ones. She's made some pretty weird, even gross things, but her soups are the best soups ever made. Except cabbage -- ugh.

I keep asking her to write down the process of adding things. Not the recipe, we know she has no concept there. I'm not recipe dependent anyway but I want the idea. So when she's dead I can still have awesome soup.

Sun Nov 19, 03:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! And too bad you don't have a Stew's there. They make the most delicious pumpkin soup. Yuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyy.

Sun Nov 19, 03:06:00 PM  
Blogger Luisa Perkins said...

Creme fraiche is not ridiculous. It's super easy to make, keeps for a long time, and makes almost every conceivable recipe more delicious. Email me for details if you are intrigued.

Sat Mar 31, 11:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home