Sunday, October 02, 2005

Okay, Back to THAT topic again

Reading.

This has been the year of reading for me. I think I have read more books in this last year than in the last 10 combined. I am not exaggerating. I really think that's true.

So I'm all hmm what sounds good to read next? And I get all like I'll get on the NYTimes website and check the best sellers list. So I go over there, and I see that it lists a book that caught my eye when I was last at Borders. (Now I realize the only reason it caught my eye is because it was right out front where they keep the... what?... the BEST SELLERS... but hey, what can I say. I thought it might be interesting because, after spending extended periods in two Muslim countries - though neither was nearly as strict as Iran - I thought I'd like to see how the women I met compare to the women in this true story.) The title is Reading Lolita in Tehran. So then I'm all wow, I was thinking I might like to read that. And it's on the best sellers list, so it must be pretty good.

So, I get it at the library. And I read the first 55 pages.

Too bad I didn't read this post over at Boy Makes Three before I got that far.

Now, granted, it didn't kill me or anything to read these 55 pages. I wasn't bored out of my mind. But as I read, I grew increasingly hopeful that somehow the story would pick up and get more interesting. But mostly, the whole thing seemed choppy and slow and I just wanted to know more than I was getting.

It came time to return the book to the library (after renewing it a few times) and I thought about renewing it again. But it just came down to the fact that I didn't like the book. So then I'm all what is wrong with you? Everyone else liked the book! For crying out loud, it's a New York Times Best Seller!!!

But I returned it. And with that, Reading Lolita in Tehran gets added to the long list of books that I have started but not finished - a list which I think says a lot about me, but I am not sure how much of it is good!

So I have this coupon for Borders that expires today and I am wondering if I should chance it with the other NYT Best Seller that I was eyeing. It's Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama. I was looking for something to take on the plane with me, but I don't want another Reading Lolita. I am wondering if I just ain't the kind of person who likes the stuff that "everyone else" likes. Maybe I should try stilhoping's (the author of Boy Makes Three) method for book selection - picking the book with the best cover. Couldn't hurt.

Reading. Why do I try?

Now, jump ahead 8 hours. That's how much time has passed since I wrote the first part of this post and what is to follow.

Today was a major bummer in every way. Actually, this whole weekend has been very reminiscint of an Oreck XL. (I'll give you a minute to think about that. And did you click on the link? Cuz I'm thinking that dude's shoulders look too big for his head, don't you?) I might post about it if I feel like entering the pity-party genre. Regardless of whether I post, I just needed to get out of the house tonight. So I went out to do the grocery shopping (yippee!!!) and to purchase that book at Borders with my coupon.

But, alas, Dreams, is still not a reality, because I forgot to bring my coupon with me when I left. And you can be darn sure I am not paying full price for one of those awful New York Times Best sellers. So, it may be a book that I won't finish, but at least it's one I haven't started either!

Seriously, why do I try?

And here is a little aside from my evening:

While I am out, I remember that I need to buy a few more gifts to give to caretakers and such while in China. Of course, it's Sunday night, and not much is open. So I go to Meijer, the grocery/department store, so I can get the groceries and the gifts as well.

The list of gift ideas I had did me no good. I could buy the slipper socks, but I'd have to hope that the recipients don't see the huge "MADE IN CHINA" molded into the rubber bottoms. Or I could buy pretty hand towels, but who knew hand towels were $7 apiece! But really I am just looking for something simple that would be a nice compliment to the hand lotion I purchased last week. Aye, aye, aye.

So I am finishing up the grocery shopping when I see this white couple pushing two carts stuffed full of groceries... and Chinese kids. Three of them. And I think back to another recent post at Boy Makes Three, about seeing adoptive parents at the store and wanting to strike up a conversation with them. (Are we living parellel lives or something?) Only in my case, I wasn't as interested in talking about their kids, as much as I wanted to say, "Please, please, pretty please, will you help me find some appropriate caretaker gifts?"

Uugh. It has been a long day.

I go sleepy now. Tomorrow is a big day - STITCH REMOVAL!!! WOOHOOO!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

Hey there...I wanted to thank you for always popping over and reading my blog. I also wanted to give you some book recommendations. Have you read:

The Secret Life of Bees
or
The Mermaid's Chair
(both by Sue Monk Kidd)

Fortune's Rocks
By Anita Shreve

I will think of others...but those are some great ones...Kiki

Mon Oct 03, 01:34:00 PM  
Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

OH...and you know I love your blog if I am willing to figure out the word verification, secret letter string dealie twice in a row, I just wanted to say...YAY for you for adopting from China. My old boss adopted two from China and they are the cutest girls ever. Grace and Teil. SO CUTE!! Congrats! Have a safe trip.

Mon Oct 03, 01:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to read

Mon Oct 03, 11:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home