Monday, December 19, 2005

To My Baby Girl

Dear Ms. Bao,

Hello, precious one. This is your mom. Whenever my heart wells up, I have to get it out by writing. So I thought I'd write you this little note.

I'm not sure I could express in words how precious you are, but I know I can tell you how I feel. Thankful. Proud. Happy. In love. You are so sweet. The way you smiled at me last night - crinkling up your eyes and flashing your only top tooth at me; when you play peek-a-boo with me without being prompted; hearing your voice when you say "da da;" the way you "dance" when you hear music; how you kick your feet when you are excited; these are the kind of things that make a mom want to smother her baby with kisses until there's nothing left of either one of us... just two people morphed into one.

I can't believe how far you've come. You always liked watching people, that was very clear. But now you interact with them instead of turning away from their advances. It makes me so happy to see you enjoying other people - and to see them enjoying you. I can't believe you already understand me when I tell you not to put something in your mouth, or throw your food on the floor, or grab my glasses. Shaking your head "no" to signal your disapproval. You are learning so much. And growing so fast.

I think about that building sometimes, where they found you. I wonder if you were cold or if you were scared. I cry when I think about that, and it makes me want to hug you a little tighter. But, I know you don't like smothering, so I'll back off.

I'm so glad you are here. I am so glad you are a part of our family. I am so glad that you are feeling comfortable here. I can hardly remember what it was like without you here. And I wouldn't want to.

I love you, little one.

Mom

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

What a beautiful letter to your child. I know she will read years from now and know she is and always has been loved.

Mon Dec 19, 10:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm jealous of you because I can't see B as often as I'd like . . . just like I feel about L and J. It's hard to think about and remember when I had only 2 grandchildren.

Tue Dec 20, 12:44:00 AM  
Blogger Addie said...

The tears welled up on that one. It was a really beautiful letter, It's so exciting to hear how well you all are doing.

What a FABULOUS Christmas you guys are going to have!!!

Tue Dec 20, 11:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home