Thursday, December 15, 2005

Shelby's Legacy to my Children

The kids have been watching our wedding video. I can't stand it. I feel so silly watching it. I felt bad that I thought this. Then Paul came home while the kids were watching it, and he said the same thing. Now I don't feel so bad.

All throughout the video are recorded messages from different guests and members of the party. I had no idea the videographer was going to do this. And that is a big part of why I don't like watching the video. You see, the videographer even asked ME to record a message to Paul. He was in the "little room" with me and my bridesmaids, and he puts the camera on me and he's like "what would you like to say to Paul?"

Uh, how about "what in the name of all things sacred are we doing?"

I was scared out of my pants, I mean, dress. So I make up something stupid to say because there is no way I am going to say what I am really thinking, and I then I smile this really stupid smile.

Now just for sake of clarity, I do not regret marrying my husband. And I had a wonderful day... after getting myself down the aisle without puking out a lung. After the wedding, I remember my face hurting from smiling so much. It's just that at that moment I wasn't exactly feeling giddy with excitement. And watching it now is almost painful. Yuck.

But one humorous result of the kids watching the video sixteen (and counting) times, is hearing what they have picked up. In her recorded message to us, Shelby, one of my bridesmaids, somehow managed to incorporate the phrases "rock on" and "peace out." This is something that Shelby can pull off with relative flair, and no one who knows her would think it particularly strange. But I just want you to imagine a 2 year old and a 4 year old going about their day, and then hearing one of them, for no apparent reason, addressing the other with "peace out." Very strange, indeed.

So, thank you, Shelby. The legacy you have left us pretty much guarantees that you will always "rock on" at our house.

And to those of you who are married, I am wondering what kind of emotions you experienced in the hour or so just before your wedding. Do tell... and, uh...

Peace out?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm....what did I feel before I got married. "Do you really want to do this? Really? Really? Are you sure? Really?..."

Angel

Fri Dec 16, 12:01:00 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Similiar to most life altering events, I felt like it was surreal and it wasn't really happening. Other than that I felt calm and happy.

I also felt tired and like you said my face already hurt from smiling.

Fri Dec 16, 08:07:00 AM  
Blogger Heather Hansen said...

"Rock on," I can just picture my 2 year old saying that. It made me laugh. I think I'll teach it to him tomorrow.

Wed Dec 21, 02:16:00 AM  
Blogger Heather Hansen said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Wed Dec 21, 02:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home