Sunday, February 26, 2006

My day off

Saturday was very relaxing. Very, very relaxing.

A few of the deacons' wives from church got together to celebrate the birthday of our music minister's wife. We did breakfast at Bob Evans. Good time. And good whole wheat blueberry pancake, too!

I couldn't check into the hotel until noon, so I'd been throwing around ideas about what to do between breakfast and checkin. Then I learned some of them ladies were going straight from Bob's to church to set up for a fellowship dinner we had tonight. And they needed help.

I don't know why, but I love to help with that stuff. Makes me feel useful, I guess. So that was a fun way to fill the time.

I putzed around by the mall (on a Saturday, with all this construction going on and man the traffic is bad now that they put in that PF Chang's and Panera, and I don't even want to go within a 5 mile radius when they get all the other new stores in. But I digress.) The putzing landed me at Wal-Mart where I found a little box of 4 Valentine's chocolates on clearance at 75% off. As if something on 75% clearance isn't hard enough to resist, it had to be chocolate.

SO, I was eating the chocolate on the way to the library.

After the library I checked in and I sat in the room and watched one of those "we clean your house that is so cluttered that we are wading up to our knees in your laundry when we try to walk across the living room" shows. Love those home makeover kinds of shows. They showed several episodes of the same show back to back to back. It was great fun. But I did find it a little disconcerting how many ads they ran for "Urine Gone" and the Bedazzler.

Then, I thought, why sit here and be completely useless? Quilt something, fool! So I got out my quilt. Which I was very excited to work on. I thought if I tried really hard, I could finish all the quilting except the borders. So, I worked busily as I watched TV, until I got too hungry. And I was craving THE BREAD.

I found this awesome Middle Eastern restaraunt (how do you spell that?) a while back that made this phenomenal bread. So, I headed over there.

Only it was gone. It is now a Lebanese restaraunt.

I hesitated, wondering if this was the same place (it was exactly the same as the other, both inside and out) because I couldn't remember the name of the other restaurant (yeah, this spelling looks right.) Anyway, I went in because I remembered how the lady that lived a few houses away from me when I was a kid, was Lebanese. And, every so often she would make kibbi and share some with us.

If you have not tried meat kibbi, please do.

I hadn't had any since I was a kid. So I went in and lo, and behold, they had kibbi. So I ordered the lentil soup, the kibbi, some pita bread (which was extremely disappointing. But to be fair, no bread could live up to what I was anticipating) and some hummous.

Delish.

Back to the hotel I downed my take out tiramisu from the Olive Garden while watching another episode of whatever it was. After that, I moved on to my QT.

On God's agenda was the clear reminder that my good deeds need to be worked out. Particularly towards my children. My selfishness gets in the way of me giving them what they need sometimes. We discussed this.

He was gracious.

He said He'd let me try again at passing the grace on to my family when I got home.

After QT, I got pumped to finish the quilting. So I found another show to watch and got so involved in it that I made two pretty big mistakes in the quilting... which I didn't notice until I had already cut the end off of my thread.

The wind was knocked out of my sails. Add to this that this quilt was never going to match the decor in my house once I start redecorating with all the ideas I have gained from these TV shows, and I was no longer motivated to stay up until all hours of the morning just to get all but the borders quilted.

So, I stayed up until all hours of the morning watching redecorating shows.

And tweezing my eyebrows.

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather Hansen said...

You did better than I did! I didn't manage to get out of bed.

Why is it every time I hear the name "bob evans" I laugh? Ah well. That's a long story.

Mon Feb 27, 12:35:00 AM  
Blogger PEZmama said...

Heather, I am glad you got the day to do exactly what you wanted!

Mon Feb 27, 09:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather, you stole my picture! A Cup-a-Joe (nickname for coffee)

My British Brother-in-law-in-law (sister-in-law's husband) always calls it "Robert Evans, I don't don't know him well enough to call him Bob."

Wed Mar 01, 06:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home