Monday, August 28, 2006

The first of many

Lainee was dressed this morning before breakfast. To say that she was ready for school to start is an understatement. The child never does anything in the morning before eating.

I had to "hold her off" from starting before 9:00.

She seemed to enjoy the things I had prepared for her to do. We did her reading/phonics and I let her do some sight word practice. We took a break, had a snack, and came back for a twenty minute math lesson. We were done with the school day before lunch started.

Somewhere along the way she asked me if she would get to have recess.

Jonathan was not interested in doing school when he got up this morning. So I let him do his thing. He's only three, so I am not forcing anything. Yesterday I told someone that if he didn't want to do schooling I was confident he'd find a way to entertain himself. Then I joked that it would probably be in the toilet.

So, I was a little off.


He joined us later in the day to do some shape-matching, which he seemed to really like.

Bethany was a bear. I don't know exactly what to do with her. But mostly things went well. My expectations for the first few weeks are pretty low as I try to figure out what works for us.

Thanks to all for your interest and concern.

11 Comments:

Blogger boomama said...

Oh my word. Oh my word at the toilet paper. :-)

And while reading your post, I couldn't help but sing in my head: "School days, school days, don't remember the rest of the words but I know it's something about RULE days." :-)

Mon Aug 28, 06:26:00 PM  
Blogger Heather Hansen said...

Congrats on finishing your first day! Woo hoo!

And that picture cracks me up. Way to go Jonathan. Hee hee hee

Mon Aug 28, 09:40:00 PM  
Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Uh huh, Mama turned her back for a minute, and was paying too much attention to another kid, hmmmm? Shoot, with my kid it would have probably been black shoe polish or razorblades, not anything as harmless as toilet paper! ;D

Glad it went well, you'll settle into a routine before too long.

BooMama, it's "School days, school days, oh those golden rule days....Reading and writing and 'rithmatic...." And so on.... :-)

Mon Aug 28, 10:25:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Well, at least it wasn't in the toilet. Glad your day went well, considering.

Tue Aug 29, 01:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

School days; school days
Good ole golden rule days.
Readin', and writin'and 'rithmetic
Taught to the tune of a hickory
stick.
I was your queen in calico.
You were my bashful, barefoot beau.
We whispered the words,
I love you so. . .
When we were a couple of kids.

Tue Aug 29, 01:45:00 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

I'm glad I clicked to comment--that pic is worth it! I don't know what to do with reese either. Are we in the same time zone? I would call RIGHT NOW, but I think it may just be 7:30 there. Do I dare?

Tue Aug 29, 09:42:00 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

Well, Lori, it depends on how you look at it. I mean, you could almost call what he did with that tp art class, it's so artfully arranged all over the whole bathroom!

Sounds like the first day went pretty well and it'll get better when everyone settles into a routine. I admire you for doing it in the first place. The school bus couldn't pull up in front of my house fast enough!

Tue Aug 29, 06:35:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Lori, somehow I missed that you're homeschooling, too! This is Caiden's third week, and he still loves it, so I guess I'm doing something right! As for the littler ones, I wait to start lessons until 10:30, when they both go down for a nap. I hope your first week is great:)

Wed Aug 30, 12:25:00 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

"Adventures in Homeschooling" At least the tee pee made it to the floor and not in the toilet!!

Thu Aug 31, 02:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is something about boys and bathrooms... they just go together somehow. This must be homework from Jonathan's independent study class, Domestic Technology 101.

Look on the bright side, he didn't clog the toilet causing expensive repairs;-)

Fri Sep 01, 06:48:00 AM  
Blogger PEZmama said...

Cup-a-joe! You're back. School must be in....

Indeed, the boy likes all things bathroom. And, you are right. I am glad that he did not clog the toilet causing an expensive repair. Because that would have made two months in a row, and I don't think our budget can handle that.

Fri Sep 01, 10:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home