Sunday, August 13, 2006

I Did it

Well, this morning at church I saw "her." She's been on my mind for a while, for reasons I have mentioned here before. I walked across the sanctuary and sat down next to her. She looked surprised (we've been in Bible study together a time or two, but have never had much of a relationship beyond that) but she greeted me with a warm hug.

So. I asked her. "Have you ever discipled someone one-on-one?"

She shook her head in the affirmative, saying, "I've done that a few times."

I don't know why that surprised me. But it did. Yet it encouraged me tremendously.

So. I asked her. "I was wondering if you would be willing to disciple me."

She looked really surprised. I thought my first question made the second pretty obvious. Maybe not.

"I'll pray about it," she said. Which is exactly what I expected her to say.

"I'm flattered," she said. Which is exactly NOT what I expected her to say.

She doesn't know that I would be terribly flattered myself to have her as a mentor. And blessed, to be sure.

And now, I just feel nervous. Because what if God tells her "no." That would be what's best for me, if that was the case. But I really want him to say "yes." If He does, I am pretty sure she'll comply.

Hey, God. Please say, "yes."

8 Comments:

Blogger Barb said...

I really hope she says she will. I'll pray about this because I sense you really, really want it. Good for you - I'm sure it took a lot courage to even approach her.

Sun Aug 13, 06:05:00 PM  
Blogger boomama said...

I am so proud of you! That took courage, Lori.

EK and I have had MANY conversations about how essential it is for older women to disciple younger women - and we've both been blessed to have women who have done that for us. I will be praying for BOTH of you!

Sun Aug 13, 06:07:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Good for you for having the courage to approach her. I'll be praying for both of you, too.

Sun Aug 13, 08:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Well, I hope God says "yes" too. Interested to hear more about this. ; )

Mon Aug 14, 02:48:00 AM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

I've been on the other end, in formal and casual arrangements. That you asked her likely encouraged her. Proof she's living a life that looks like an example of a godly woman. Mentoring can even be regularly scheduled coffeeshop visits where you rub shoulders and share lives. I expect she'll say yes, and fit it in somewhere. Hard to resist someone who wants to grow so badly. Good for you. In our church we have lots who want to be mentored, fewer who are willing to be the older woman.

Mon Aug 14, 08:21:00 AM  
Blogger Addie said...

Whoo, whoo! I'm so excited for you! I know you've been praying about this for quite awhile. Good for you!

((Hugs))

Mon Aug 14, 12:09:00 PM  
Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

I hope this all works out for you, Lori. Any time I've counselled and mentored, I've always learned more than I taught the other person. Keep us posted. :-)

Mon Aug 14, 11:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope she says she will. Let us know!

Tue Aug 15, 01:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home