Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Tell Me How That Makes You Feel...

Oh, my word. I haven't posted anything of consequence in quite a while, but I feel as though I have been blogging nonstop. Most of my time has been taken up by the Blog Party. The last I checked, there were over 800 participants. Just for the record, I do not intend to visit all 800 of those blogs. I like blogging, but not that much.

The rest of my time has been spent e-mailing other bloggers. If you have been reading me for any length of time, you know that I am in this blogging thing to talk to people, exchange ideas, challenge one another's thinking, etc. For me, those things usually take place on a blog. These last two weeks, however, seem to have been banner weeks for communicating with my bloggy cohorts via e-mail. So I am blogging, just not on my blog. (Is there a term for that?)

And this would be the point in the post where I would consider giving a shout out, a thank you, or an introduction to those bloggers I have been conversing with, but I wonder if I should.

So I am going to ask you all. Do you ever feel insignificant, dismissed, left out etc. when you are reading a blog and/or comment in which the author writes about personal communication she has had with another blogger?

All this "off-blog" communication is unusual for me. Maybe you all communicate frequently with other bloggers, and I am just out of the loop. But I will admit that reading that kind of stuff on someone else's blog tends to make me feel like the junior high kid who didn't get invited to the party.

So, what do you think?

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

A term for blogging "off-blog"?
PEZmama: Unblogged

I'm thinking "should I email my response, or post it here?" ;o)

I'll be back. I need sleep.

Wed Mar 07, 12:59:00 AM  
Blogger Tricia said...

I have to admit I do sometimes...

Wed Mar 07, 09:35:00 AM  
Blogger Luisa Perkins said...

Well, dad gum it. I just wrote a comment, and it looks like it didn't post for some reason. Let me try again.

I was the kid who never got invited to anything. I'm so used to not being included that I didn't notice it was going on here in Blogtown UNTIL YOU MENTIONED IT. So, now that that wound has been reopened and has had a cleansing poultice of salt and lemon juice applied, let me consider your question.

As a writer, I always imagine my audience as I write, whether it's a novel, a poem, lyrics for a song, or a blog post. As a reader, I always assume I am included in the audience because of the fact that the text is available to me--whether on screen or on a printed page. When I read someone's blog, the fact that they mention someone else in my virtual presence leads me to infer that I am included in the conversation.

I don't know whether the above makes sense, but in the immortal words of Emperor Joseph II, "There it is."

Wed Mar 07, 11:53:00 AM  
Blogger Shalee said...

No, I don't feel left out. I figure that some people connect a bit better than they did with me. And I know that when I DO talk/email/pen pal with other bloggers, I really enjoy the communication that we have with each other because it's personal and not trite. Glib and comical at times, but not trite. And it makes me feel good that she/he took the time to want to know me better.

Make since?

Wed Mar 07, 02:13:00 PM  
Blogger Jeana said...

It doesn't bother me. Your word verification is bothering me, because it says "oaf". I am taking that personally because I know for a fact that it's true.

Wed Mar 07, 06:05:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I gotta admit, I have felt left out a time or two (just a teensy weensy bit), then I remembered that I'm not exactly a social butterfly.

Some people are more outgoing, and I'm ok with that.

Wed Mar 07, 11:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have felt rejected when my comment was deleted and I thought it was a particularly witty one...Hmmm, I don't know if I experienced the other -- do I do it? Hmmm--don't know...You know what's weird is I don't even know you and when I put on my Pez shirt this morning I thought of Pezmama -- the internet is weird.

Thu Mar 08, 06:37:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Uh, hi, I'm late to this thread, but I do my blog-reading in giant chunks lately. I know exactly what you mean (on both ends), and yes, sometimes it feels as if there is a cool little coffee klatch that I am not a part of. It bothers me a bit, but not necessarily because I want to be in on it. I think it's generally sufficient to say, "I was emailing with a friend" and leave it at that. Then it could be a "real" friend, or a blog friend, or whatever. If the fact that it's a blog friend is relevant, like chatting about a IRL meet-up or a particular thread of thought that you have both blogged about, I think that's different. I just used a lot of words to say nothing, but you're not the only one.

On the other side of things, I do enjoy emailing off-blog if there's something I want to ask/say/tell, and I think that's cool, too.

Sat Mar 17, 02:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home