Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Why Didn't I Know About This?

Ms. Boo, who is now 6 years old has been a crafter since she was old enough to hold scissors. If a box sits around too long, she'll turn it into something. (Rarely is it identifiable, but still - it's something.) When she was just a wee child, about three or so, she asked me at breakfast one day, "Mom, what craft will we be doing today?"

As if mothers have a schedule.

Of craft projects.

DAILY.

You see, it makes all kinds of sense to her six-year-old mind that, uh yeah, you do a craft, like every day.

And believe me, her world spins slightly off center when she doesn't get her daily fix.

So, in the crafty world she inhabits, it is completely within reason that her mother should:
  1. have supplies on hand at all times. Never mind that she doesn't always know what she needs for a particular project. If she doesn't know what she needs, she just tells mom and mom can figure it out. (NOW, preferably.)
  2. think of a suitable craft for a a six-year-old whenever the six-year-old can't think of one herself. (NOW, preferably.)
  3. help her with the craft. (Oh, and, NOW, preferably.)
And did I mention that she expects mom to do these things NOW? Because she does.

The thing is, I get it. I was just like her when I was a kid and it was beyond frustrating when I could not make something because I didn't have a good idea, or I wasn't big enough to use a tool, or we didn't have what we needed for the job. So, I get it, I really do.

But being on this end of the frustrated crafter's demands is a little draining, even for someone who loves crafting.

So, who, WHO I ASK YOU? Felt it was a good idea to keep this a secret from me?

Oh, sweet mercy, we are CAMPING OUT at the Home Depot once a month so we can GET THERE AS SOON AS IT STARTS! WE CAN'T WASTE TIME! IT'S HOME DEPOT DAY!

We went to our first Kids Workshop at the Home Depot at the beginning of the month. REAL HAMMERS. REAL NAILS. They even gave the kids a REAL APRON. And my daughter made a REAL CRAFT CADDY.

Did you get that? A CRAFT CADDY! Because what on earth would delight a crafter more than crafting a craft caddy? I don't know. But, my lands, she was pleased.

And so was her mom. You know why? It wasn't the popcorn or the sucker or even the shiny pin for her new apron. What pleased her mom was the fact that she wasn't making another useless foam magnet or sequined picture frame. No, she made something practical out of real wood and... get ready for this... it was FREE!

Mr. Bug also enjoyed himself immensely. Because, did I mention there were REAL hammers and nails and all?

I'm telling you, if you haven't been, you need to check this out.

I've heard Lowe's has a version of this too...

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Oooh...we're finally getting a Lowe's in our area, and I know my girl would LOVE that!

Sorry to hear about the weight gain. I keep gaining & losing the same 2 pounds myself!

Wed Aug 22, 10:18:00 PM  
Blogger Noodle said...

Okay, you're going to hate to hear this, but I used to do a craft every day with Spyder. Every day. That is, until Sass started walking. LOL! His favorite was making a treasure map and having me soak it in tea to give it that "old" look.

Even now, I can usually come up with something on the spur of the moment. Of course, now he wants to tamper with our electronics . . . .

Thu Aug 23, 12:14:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just like her mom. I can remember when you earned the Ms. Fixit patch as a Junior Girl Scout. A power drill, power saw and I can't remember what else. Was that the most fun you ever had earning a patch? If not, it has GOT to be the second best.

Thu Aug 23, 03:03:00 AM  
Blogger Luisa Perkins said...

Okay, that ROCKS. How many kids do you think they'll let me bring?

Fri Aug 24, 12:36:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my word! That was hysterical. You have a knack for writing, my friend.

Fri Aug 24, 10:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home