Thursday, August 02, 2007

Because I am a Devoted Servant, People

I can't let my bloggy peeps down you know. Especially when they are taking time enough to leave a comment and, in so doing, ask a question.

Well, Luisa asked a question about the sign that appears in this post.

She asked: Hey, what are the asterisks for?

I was slightly taken aback by this question. First, because I didn't think the self-proclaimed Grammar Fascista would end a sentence with a prepostion.

Second, because I had no idea what the answer was. This might not seem like a big deal, but that sign, as it so happens, is located in my favorite donut shop. (It used to be number two, but is now the default #1 since my #1 favorite donut shop closed down. Let us now observe a moment of silence, please............)

It seems that I get a little, uh, distracted when I am at the donut shop. The sheer delight, I suppose. The chocolate cake with chocolate icing is delicious. The cherry turnovers are fab. And don't even get me started about the custard-filled. Oh, the custard filled.

So, imagine with me, will you? Piping hot coffee. The soft, moist goodness of the chocolate cake donut. I'm sure I noticed it as I was throwing my head back and rolling my eyes in sheer delight. The sign. With - is that an apostrophe? No, surely not... This cannot be: Where am I going to find a new favorite donut shop? I can't have a favorite donut shop with a sign like THAT!

All of this to say that I was distracted. The donut, the coffee, the APOSTROPHE! And of course, I immediately started composing a post about the apostrophe in my head.

What those asterisks were about was not even on my radar...

But the Fascista wanted to know.

And I live to serve.

So back to the donut shop I went. Made a special trip just to find out. Of course when I got there, and the lady behind the counter asked me what I wanted, I felt too silly to declare "What I want you cannot give me. I am on a quest for knowledge."

So I ordered. But WHAT I ordered doesn't matter. (Except for the part about sweet-mercy-it-was-so-good.)

And now, I am happy to report that the asterisks refer to the flavors that are also available in sugar-free.

Now, sweet readers, you can all put your minds at rest for having this burning question answered. Please know that I am willing to make these sacrifices in order to help you maintain your peace of mind.

I know. You're welcome.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Luisa Perkins said...

First of all, I am NOT self-proclaimed. Patrick dubbed me that years ago. I do make grammatical mistakes with lamentable frequency. Thank heaven for the Delete function and the principle of repentance.

Second (because I know you all care), there are certain instances in which it is appropriate to end a sentence with a preposition. I'm sorry if that takes the wind out of anyone's sails, but it's true.

Third, I laud your diligence in appeasing your loyal audience. Those mystery asterisks have been keeping me up at night. THANK YOU!

Fourth, I hope the doughnut shop has made it onto your blessings list. We have no such facility in my area, and I heartily wish we did.

I remain your devoted fan! :)

Thu Aug 02, 01:55:00 PM  
Blogger PEZmama said...

My sincerest apologies to you, Luisa, for anything I said which misrepresented your nickname, your grammatical prowess, or you character.

I hope I did not offend you. Your one of my most devoted readers. ;-)

Thu Aug 02, 04:03:00 PM  
Blogger Luisa Perkins said...

Oh, no worries! I'm grateful to be a star in one of your posts, and I thank you for the linkage.

Now I really want some doughnuts.

Thu Aug 02, 05:14:00 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Y'all are both funny and little nuts, I believe...=)

Typed with the most respect; I promise.

Mon Aug 06, 08:41:00 AM  
Blogger Luisa Perkins said...

Robin, speaking for myself, you are absolutely right! ;)

Mon Aug 06, 01:41:00 PM  
Blogger Shalee said...

Great. Now I want a donut. Way to go Lori.

Thu Aug 09, 08:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home