Monday, July 30, 2007

Mid to Upper Thirties

Is it wrong that I don't believe my scale?

Don't get on me about doing it... I was in a good place emotionally, and I was curious... so I stepped on the scale yesterday, a day ahead of my normal weigh-in. It was after church, so I'd already eaten breakfast. I weighed 139 lbs. I weighed 141.5 that evening after dinner. After exercising, I weighed 140.0 despite the fact that there was not a whole lot of sweating going on. And this morning, when, aside from DRINKING a cup of tea, the only thing that had transpired was a few hours of sleeping, I was back to 139 again.

The chemistry degree kicks in at this point, people. I'm thinking, Law of Conservation of Mass. You should weigh whatever you've eaten, minus anything that has "taken leave" of the body. If I'd eaten 2.5 lbs of food during the day, and I didn't, you know, get rid of any food (which I didn't) then where in the world did the 2.5 pounds go? It cannot possibly be all water, can it? Can it?

Anyway, I lost weight. And I am probably the only person on the planet who would find some aspect of that annoying, but I do.* Because it doesn't make sense.

I'm sorry. My brain works the way it works, and that's the kind of stuff I think about.

So I lost two pounds this week, 9.5 since beginning the challenge.

Check back with me next week and hopefully I will have a shiny new button announcing to the world that I've lost ten pounds.

*Don't worry. I'm thrilled about being in the 130's again. A big YAHOO! for that.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger boomama said...

At first when I read this title I thought you were talking about my age.

BADABING!

And congratulations are in order - way to go!

Tue Jul 31, 01:55:00 AM  
Blogger Roses Are Red, Violets are Violet said...

I'm pretty sure I weighed 130 when I was in the, um , SEVENTH GRADE.

hee hee

Congrats but I'm just like you...if it doesn't make sense I'll worry myself to death trying to figure it out. Good or bad, I just want to know the REASON.

I'm right there with you, sister.

Tue Jul 31, 08:07:00 AM  
Blogger Luisa Perkins said...

I echo your YAHOO!

Remember that you are expending energy every second of the day. That's why exercise helps us lose weight, right? To burn some of that matter we've taken in in the past? But what do I know; you're the chemist.

And STOP weighing yourself three times a day! That's a sure road to madness.

Tue Jul 31, 08:22:00 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

It really doesn't make sense, does it?

Either way, congrats on the 9.5 pounds! I look forward to giving you the shiny 10 pounder next week!!

Tue Jul 31, 09:08:00 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Hey, sometimes I weigh before and after anything has taken leave just out of disgusting curiosity.

I need more to do.

Tue Jul 31, 09:55:00 AM  
Blogger Mom said...

Congratulations!!

As the day goes on I always weigh more, so I just weigh myself in the morning. I never try to step on the scale after that. Too depressing to see the numbers climb.

Tue Jul 31, 10:01:00 AM  
Blogger Thea @ It's Me Vs. Me said...

Oh my goodness! You'll drive yourself batty if you keep weighing yourself like that!

Congrats on the loss! Good luck this week!

Tue Jul 31, 10:36:00 AM  
Blogger Journo June aka MamaBear said...

I don't think it's as simple as volume in, volume out. Our metabolism can effect the rate of fat burning and the glycogen factor adds a few other mysteries. :-)
http://mamabearshealth.blogspot.com/
Path to Health

Here's an interesting article on Why the Scale Lies

Tue Jul 31, 11:00:00 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

Haha! I'm an analytical person, too. :)

Tue Jul 31, 12:16:00 PM  
Blogger Kellie said...

I don't get it, but I do the same thing....sometimes I step on the scale four times in TWO minutes!

YAHOO for You!!!

Tue Jul 31, 12:35:00 PM  
Blogger Cherie said...

My scale takes me through the same emotional rollercoaster! I don't weigh myself but once or twice a week now, that way I'm not analyzing so much. Most of my weight loss hasn't made sense to me either, but nevertheless it is coming off and that is what really matters!
Congrats to you!! Keep up the great work!!!!

Tue Jul 31, 02:05:00 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Congrats on losing two pounds, you are doing great.

Tue Jul 31, 02:45:00 PM  
Blogger Girl Gone Wild - BibleStyle said...

OMG...hilarious as it is, I'm with Robin on that whole "constitution" issue!

Congrats!

Wed Aug 01, 08:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home