Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Gimmee some room here, peeps.

I know most of you won't be reading this when we get back with Bao. But, for those of you who have been with me a while, I thought I'd share a few non-adoption thoughts that have been rattling around. Here they are, in no particular order.

Nice hitting into that double play, A-Rod. Nice.

And while we are on sports: Tiger - lose the goatee. And Phil - was that a MUSTACHE I saw? You're KILLING me, man!

And, as a matter of curiosity: Does it make sense to anyone else why they put non-skid material on the bottoms of newborn socks?

Li asked if we wanted to visit the bird and flower market. Uh, bird market? I don't think I am brave enough for that, given this whole bird flu thing. Maybe I saw too many stories about it before we left, and now I am paranoid. (And what was up with that? Everywhere I looked was some show or news story about the bird flu!!!)

I ate tripe. While I was eating it, I had a vague recollection that is was one of those things that, when you find out what it is, you are inclined to say something like "gross!" Maybe I'm just imagining that. Anyway, it wasn't gross.

I am torn between honoring local custom and maintaining Bao's comfort. We get stared at a lot. (It's one of those things I think everyone should do at some point - put themselves in a situation where they don't fit in and everyone stares at them. Maybe that's a topic for another time, but that's what I think, nonetheless.) However, it is hard to know if they are staring because we are white folks with a Chinese baby, because Bao is just plain cute, or because people disapprove of us walking around with her outside without putting her in long sleeves and a hat. It's like 70 degrees today. I have already been scolded once about the lack of sleeves. But, today, I let her go without it.

To answer some questions:

Bao's rash was there when we got her. I don't think it is a food allergy. (Regarding food allergies: I have no idea what things Bao has already eaten and what she hasn't. Her schedule said she eats vegetables, noodles, eggs, congee, meats, on and on. So, I have strayed from my usual method of only feeding one new thing in a 4 day period. It seems kinda useless since she has already been introduced to so much. I am just feeding her whatever she will eat.)

We are not staying this long for pleasure. (Though, so far it is quite pleasureable.) After filling out the paperwork for Bao's passport yesterday, we are now waiting the normal 4-5 days that it takes for the passport to be issued. It's standard procedure. In the mean time, we are just tourists. After we get her passport, we have to return to Guangzhou where she'll have a medical exam. It is required by the US Consulate in order to issue her a visa. Then we apply for visas on Monday, wait for them to be issued, and we leave on Wednesday morning.

More pictures later. All we have done today is go to Walmart to buy a stroller and we didn't bring the camera on that excursion... though Bao was cute in the stroller!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Thanks for answering my questions. Just a thought on the food stuff, wasn't sure what she had been eating...just a thought on my part. talk soon. b

Tue Oct 11, 07:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If a little smear of an antibiotic ointment on one spot 2x a day for 2 days causes any clearing of the rash in that area, it's probably a bacterial infection. You can then widen the smear area or consult a physician.

Tue Oct 11, 08:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home