Saturday, May 13, 2006

Where to Start?

Well. Ms. Bao fell off a chair.

She did it last night right before I left for a night out with a friend. Paul and I noticed that she kept grabbing her wrist. But she really didn't act or sound like she was in a lot of pain. We figured maybe she'd sprained it.

So, I went out, and Paul took the kids shopping for a Mother's day gift.

When I returned home, I got my clothes ready for the morning, and ran through my talk one more time. I finally climbed into bed at around 2 am and Paul woke up to give me the down low. He said that Bao didn't use her right arm all night and that she cried when she tried to use it to crawl. He also said that she seemed very sensitive when he picked her up under the arm on the right side.

When I got up this morning, Paul was already gone at the District Track meet. Bao got up and was still not using her right arm. She normally eats with it, but used her left to eat her breakfast. She cried when I moved her arm too much. I was beginning to think it was broken. But, I had to give my talk, and I couldn't take her anywhere until after that was over.

I had been excited about the talk for a while, but having to leave an injured baby with a sitter had dampened my spirits a bit, and kept me fairly preoccupied. Knowing that my thoughts were somewhere else, Ami offered to pray for me. It helped tremendously.

I enjoyed every minute of the talk. Fun, fun, fun.

Several people have asked how it went. That is a hard question to answer. People laughed when I said something funny. Most seemed attentive. Some seemed VERY attentive. Several people nodded in agreement as I spoke. I didn't make any "mistakes" and neither did the guy who was advancing the power point slides. After the talk, my friends RAVED... but friends do. Three strangers, two of whom were ministers' wives from the church, gave positive comments. A few women offered some nice comments as I exited the building with them.

But those don't really answer HOW IT WENT, because how it REALLY went has nothing to do with what people thought, and everything to do with whether women's hearts were turned towards the Lord. And, I will never really know the answer to THAT question. So, I settle for letting that other stuff, and the fact that I had a blast, be the evidence that it went well.

Thankfully, Bao slept most of the time I was away, so the family watching my kids didn't have too much maimed child crabbiness to deal with.

I came home with the kids and Paul got home soon after. I had noticed that Bao's right arm was swollen and was more convinced than ever that it was a break. So, I took her, and a few snacks (in case we had another one of those never-ending waits) to Children's Urgent Care. It's run by the nearby children's hospital, and I figured it was a better choice than the ER. Turns out I was right. We were in and out in an hour and a half... and that included two X-rays... which Bao did NOT like, by the way.

But, it turns out that her arm IS broken. Poor thing. She cried through them setting it in a temporary splint, putting on the sling, and wrapping it to her chest. (But hey, I kind of expected this when she screamed during the WEIGHING... horrors, I know... ) But then she was happy as a lark. I thought she'd be upset at not being able to move her arm, but then I remembered - she has shown no interest in moving her arm all day long. She is probably happy to have it set in one place so that it won't keep getting bumped around.

I have to call the orthopaedist on Monday. They want me to get her in on Monday or Tuesday. The doctor said her arm might be put in a cast, but would likely be wrapped in place for 4-6 weeks. Sigh.

Anyway. That was my day. Thank you to each of you who prayed for the talk, and in advance to those who will be praying for Bao as her arm heals.

And now I am tired. So. very. tired.

Goodnight.

7 Comments:

Blogger boomama said...

So sorry about the arm...bless her heart. I did, however, laugh out loud when I read "maimed child crabbiness." That's just humor.

And I did pray for you this morning! Glad you had fun, and hope you get lots of rest. Happy Mother's Day!

Sat May 13, 11:40:00 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh dear...I will pray she her arm heals quickly.

I'm glad everything went ok with your talk.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
:-)

Sun May 14, 12:27:00 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Lori! Oh, I thought for sure as I started reading that she just had nursemaid's elbow. We went to the emergency room for that once with Elise.

I'm so sorry that it is really broken.

I've said a prayer for you both.

Sun May 14, 10:48:00 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

One other thing. You said, "because how it REALLY went has nothing to do with what people thought, and everything to do with whether women's hearts were turned towards the Lord. And, I will never really know the answer to THAT question."

I agree that a "great speech" that doesn't produce change isn't such a great speech. But I'd also say that a person who has turned their heart toward the Lord should display that change in tangible ways. Now you might not know if it was because of your speech or not (though I do think that will be revealed in heaven) but changed hearts produce changed actions.

I will say that your post, just really caused me to revist what I just said and in that respect, I hope God has used you to change me.

And I'm tagging you with the ABC meme.

Sun May 14, 10:59:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

These are the kinds of things that make for great memories later, but are tough to deal with at the time. (Okay, so maybe not great memories, but memories nonetheless.) I hope today is a better day for you, and that you get some sleep:)

Mon May 15, 11:12:00 AM  
Blogger sarahgrace said...

So sorry to hear about your daughter's break, but glad she's okay, and glad your talk went well! Praise God for that!

Mon May 15, 02:06:00 PM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

My brothers broke bones, often, when I was growing up. I always thought it sounded cool. Not so much when it happened to one of my children. It never occurred to me all the things they could not do. Mine was 18 when it happened so his dad got shower duty, but man was he grouchy! Be sure to take photos because she's going to brag about this someday - battle scars!

Tue May 16, 04:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home