Saturday, July 01, 2006

Revised Reading List

I just finished reading Five Star Families by Carol Kuykendall.

I read it because I bought the book. I don't know why I bought the book. Maybe because all the moms at MOPS were raving about it. Yet, I know that our taste in books is very different. But they were RAVING. Anyway, it wasn't really rave-worthy, if you ask me. It was encouraging. And it was an easy read - even for me. This was probably the number one thing that kept me reading. After God's Politics, I needed a bit of a break.

Anyway, this brings my book total up to 5 for this year.

Here are the books I have on my list. (My goal is to read twelve this year.)

1. Approval Addiction: Overcoming Your Need to Please Everyone by Joyce Meyer.

2. Boltzmann's Atom: The Great Debate the Launched a Revolution in Physics by David Lindley.

3. God's Politics: Why the Right Gets it Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get it by Jim Wallace.

4. Dreams from my Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama.

5. Every Man's Battle:Winning the War on Sexual Temptation One Victory at a Time by Arterburn, Stoeker, and Yorkey.

6. Scandal of the Evangelical Conscience: Why Are Christians Living Just Like the Rest of the World? by Ronald Sider.

7. Hard to Believe: The High Cost and Infinite Value of Following Jesus by John MacArthur.

8. Jealous God: Science's Crusade Against Religion by Pamela Winnick.

9. One Size Doesn't Fit All: Bringing out the Best in any Size Church by Gary McIntosh.

10. Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality by Donald Miller.

11. The Divine Conspiracy:Rediscovering our Hidden Life in God by Dallas Willard.

12. Crunchy Cons: The New Conservative Counterculture and its Return to Roots by Rod Dreher.

13. Five Star Families: Moving Yours From Good to Great by Carol Kuykendall.

14. Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War by Nathaniel Philbrick.

15. Endangered Minds: Why Children Don't Think and What We Can Do About It by Jane Healy.

16. A Peculiar People: The Church as Culture in a Post-Christian Society by Rodney Clapp.

Any suggestions? I have Scandal of the Evangelical Conscience with me here in CT. It is a really short book, and I have already started it. Maybe I can get it done before going back to Ohio.

But let's not put any money on that, okay?

What are you all reading?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Addie said...

Investing Your Life In Things That Matter by Linda McGinn Waterman

Not really rave-worthy either, but maybe it'll pick up. I've just started to get into it.

Have you read Every Woman's Battle? I haven't, just curious. We have Every Man's Battle, which my husband says is pretty good.

Sun Jul 02, 01:42:00 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

I have read Blue Like Jazz. I liked it because the author, Donald Miller, seemed very honest and sincere about his faith and about himself.

I didn't think anyone over the age of say 35 would like it though, but that has not been the case. My dad read it and he liked it, so have several others his age.

He is sort of in with the Emerging Church movement, which gets a lot of negative press within Christian circles that is (IMHO) not warranted.

Sun Jul 02, 06:35:00 PM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

I've got Blue Like Jazz on my nightstand, am halfway through Approval Addiction. The list of everything else I'm trying/hoping to read is ridiculously long.

Tue Jul 04, 09:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home