Thursday, June 15, 2006

Big Lessons from Little People

When Ms. Boo was about three and a half, we were having some issues with her regarding the inappropriate use of markers. It was a struggle for a few weeks, as she proved to be quite stubborn about it. I resorted to throwing out whichever marker she used to commit the infraction.

The marker supply was dwindling.

Eventually, I thought she might be getting the point. After a few weeks without any marker calamities, I assumed she'd grown out of that phase.

Not long after that, I remember sitting in the kitchen and realizing that she wasn't making enough noise. You know - she was up to something. So, I stopped what I was doing, scanned the room, and turned on my bionic hearing. I picked up on the sound immediately. The bathroom sink.

Immediately, visions of dripping water and all manner of soggy toilet paper come running through my head. (Innapropriate use of toilet paper being our number two problem at the time.)

Not wanting to know what she was really doing, I simply said, "Boo, get out of the bathroom."
And out she walked. Into the kitchen.

If a three-year-old could ever be described as nonchalant, this was the one. And this is what she looked like:
She went right on about her usual activities as if nothing was wrong. She had no idea that I could see anything on her face. I suspected that she'd been in the bathroom trying to clean off the marker she'd smeared all over herself. (Indeed, the clumps of green and purple toilet paper that I would later find in the bathroom were evidence of this.)

But the sweet girl thought she had removed all the marker. Thought she'd pulled one over on her mom.

I often think about this story when my relationship with God goes through periods of neglect. There is stuff in my life that I need to bring before the Lord, honestly. But I don't. Instead, I go about my usual tasks as if nothing is wrong.

Just like I didn't let Bo go on with her day before I cleaned her up, God gently intervenes with me. He lets me know that he can see whatever it is that I think I'm really hiding. And he offers to clean me up. It makes sense. No mother would let their marker-laden child try to interact with the world as if nothing was wrong. God is no different.

Folks, I have marker all over my face. It isn't so much about what I have been doing as much as it is about what I haven't been doing. Things are getting in the way of my personal fellowship with God. I know if I don't let him clean me up right now, I will slowly become calloused to the reality that my face is a mess - and getting messier by the day.

So, sorry to do this again to you all, but I am taking a break. And I don't know how long it will be. I won't be blogging. I won't be reading blogs either. Not cuz I don't love it... I do. Too much.

But I love Jesus more. Now I just need to act like it.

He who conceals his sin does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy. -Proverbs 28:13

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Completely understandable. I've been evaluating the same thing in my life as well. I told God just today that I find distractions to keep me from spending time with Him. (Now why is that?) Go rest in Him.

Thu Jun 15, 05:29:00 PM  
Blogger boomama said...

First, the picture is hysterical.

Second, I'll keep you in my prayers. Hope this "sabbatical" is a time for great rest and renewal in Him. Can't wait to hear about what He teaches you, though I'll definitely miss reading you.

Take care of you and yours....

Thu Jun 15, 06:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lori -
You so have the gift of teaching. You know that, right?
~Shelby

Thu Jun 15, 11:17:00 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

I don't know if you will be reading your comments or if they go directly to your email but, I do understand how you are feeling. This is a great post and a wonderful analogy I needed to hear!(or read I guess.)

Thu Jun 15, 11:35:00 PM  
Blogger Addie said...

You know Lori, that we would never at all want to come between you and your relationship with God! This blogging thing is temporary, THAT is eternal.

Glad you have your priorities in check. We will miss reading up on you though! :-)

Fri Jun 16, 02:03:00 AM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

Great post, great heart. Ive read somewhere 90% of fixing a problem is recognizing it. So you're 90% done. Thanks for the encouragement we all need to do the other 10%.

Fri Jun 16, 08:12:00 AM  
Blogger Heather Hansen said...

Good for you Lori! I'll miss you.

Fri Jun 16, 02:10:00 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Actually, folks, the photo is terrifying. I couldn't begin to imagine where to even start with the Simple Green. Which I use, you know, to clean everything. Not such a good idea on babies I guess.

Fri Jun 16, 10:46:00 PM  
Blogger sarahgrace said...

Hey- I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes things get out of priority and you just gotta straighten them out. Good for you for putting your relationship with God first! And God bless you!

Sat Jun 17, 09:29:00 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Lori,
I'll say a prayer for you today.
Leslie

Sun Jun 18, 07:24:00 PM  
Blogger Minnie said...

Praying for you.

Tue Jun 20, 01:41:00 AM  
Blogger Luisa Perkins said...

When I became a mother, one thing that surprised me was how much fun it was. Another thing that surprised me was how much of the time God teaches me through my children (not always fun, but always instructive). Thanks for sharing one of your lessons in such a humble (yet entertaining) way.

Mon Mar 26, 09:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home