Thursday, December 28, 2006

But Let's Not Get Catty About it.

For the second time in as many days, Mr. Bug has taken on the identity of a cat.

Today he came to me with a ball of yarn and asked me to wave it around in front of him so he could bat at it.

That's fine. I humored him.

But yesterday, the cattiness began just as he finished a bowl of apple sauce at the kitchen table. At just about that time, Bao spotted a card with a cat on it and, pointing to it, proudly proclaimed, "caaaaaaaat!"

This must've sparked something in the boy's imagination. He loves to entertain her, after all. So, he got himself on the floor and started meowing at her feet.

Bao enjoyed this immensely, so I let it go on for a little while. But I had to resume my mothering duties at some point, so, when enough time had passed for an adult to tire of the all the meowing, I gave Bao a job. (That's what mothers do, right?)

Here is how the conversation went:
Me: Jonathan, put your bowl and spoon in the sink, please.
Bug: MeOOOOW!
Me: (Pause a few moments. Let them have their fun for a few more seconds.) Mr. Bug, put your bowl and spoon in the sink.
Bug: MeOOOOOOOOOOW!

Then, in a classic display of my passive aggressiveness, I turned to Paul and said, "Dad, would you please tell your pet cat that if he doesn't put his bowl and spoon in the sink he is going to have a spanked bottom."

Mr. Bug stood up, placing his hands over his bottom. "Cats don't have bottoms," he said.

"Oh, yes they do," I retorted.

He looked at me a moment then made his way toward the table and, just as he was about to grab his bowl and spoon, he stopped.

"MOM! Cats don't know how to hold a bowl!"

Have I ever mentioned that I am not such a big fan of cats?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Okay I'm mentioning my hubs again who says the best cat is a dead one.

He's been allergic for years so at least he comes by it honestly.

Fri Dec 29, 08:11:00 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Hey look, all of my comments are showing up.

Fri Dec 29, 08:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home