Thursday, December 07, 2006

Getting Dressed: A Mother's Perspective

"Mom! It snowed. Can I got outside?"

"Yes, Boo. Let's get the winter clothes out. Bug, do you want to go out too?"

"Yeah."

Lug four storage boxes out of a closet, because, of course, the winter clothes are on the bottom. Rummaging. Rummaging.

Huh? I thought we had a pair of size three snow pants. Where could they be? Garage, maybe?

"Mom, where are MY snow pants?"

"I don't know Boo. Where did we put the ones you wore last year. That's all we have right now."

"I don't know where they are, mom."

Run to garage.

Rummaging, rummaging.

Okay, here are Boo's old pants. But where are those size threes? What in the world did Boo wear when she was three, and what did I do with them? Never mind. I guess these fleece-lined overalls will work.

Boots. We need boots.

Back to closet.

Rummage some more.

Oh, here are some snow pants that'll fit Bao. Bug can wear these boots. Don't we have size five snow boots for Bao? What it in the world did Boo wear when she was in fives and what did I do with them?

Back to garage.

No size five boots here. Wouldn't Bug have worn those last year? Could they be in the pile I stored under the crib? It would be just like you not to clear out the stuff under the crib for an entire year...

Back to the bedroom to look under the crib.

No, not here.

Over to closet again.

"Bug, put your shirt on."

I guess these size sevens will have to do for now.

"Where are MY boots mom?"

"We don't have boots for you yet, Boo."

She always gets snow boots for Christmas. Why does it have to snow before Christmas?

"Can I just wear my sneakers then?"

"Yeah, I guess that will have to do."

Get snow pants, coat, and hat on Boo. Direct her to get her mittens out of the bag by the front door.

Go to hall closet to look for the rest of the mittens and hats.

How did all these winter things end up all over the floor of the closet? Now I can't find that other white glove. I TOLD those kids not to play with this stuff! And what is the DEAL with all these useless scarves that are 2 inches wide? I need to get these out of here.

"Bug, put your SHIRT on!"

Back to closet to store useless scarves.

Man, those white gloves were the warmest ones I had for Bao. I guess the pink ones will do.

"BUUUUG! PUT YOUR SHIRT ON!"

Get Bug dressed. Beginning with the shirt.

"Mom, I want a scarf."

Back to closet. Pick out scarf. Wrap up Bug, send him outside to join Boo. Dress Bao in too big boots and not warm enough mittens. Send her outside.

Run to laundry area to find clothes for self.

How, how, HOW is it possible that the underwire has broken in EVERY SINGLE bra that I own? Stupid bra manufacturers. Why is it so hard to find a decent bra without the undewire, anyway? Stupid underwires.

Put wash in the dryer.

Dress self.

Grab camera.

Go outside and take whatever pictures are left on the camera. Run back inside to get Bao's earmuffs, and my own.

Walk Bao around the yard a while. Look around.

"Where is Bug?"

"He went in the house, mom."

Yes. Yes, of course.

Take Bao inside.

"Mom!"

"What, Bug?"

"It's COLD out there!"

Oh, really? I hadn't noticed.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Shalee said...

Oh, I kept expecting you to say that you got them all bundled and THEN they had to go to the bathroom. That's what happened at our place, after all the rummaging of course.

Thu Dec 07, 03:51:00 PM  
Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Dang, no snow here yet. It's cold enought for it, though. Down in the single digits tonight. I love the snow and the cold, though. I'm still hoping for a white Christmas....

I figured you'd get them all dressed and the snow would be gone before you could get out in it, or the first kid you sent out would be ready to come back in before you got the last one dressed.

All in all, you did good, I think. :-)

Thu Dec 07, 04:44:00 PM  
Blogger PEZmama said...

Oh, Diane, that scenario of getting them all dressed only to send the first last one out when the first was ready to come in... that was last year...

Thu Dec 07, 05:05:00 PM  
Blogger Heather Hansen said...

I totally KNEW how this was going to end. ha ha ha ha ha!

Thu Dec 07, 11:18:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

You know what's funny? You're more organized than I am. Yes, really.

Hope you enjoyed the snow!

Fri Dec 08, 12:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHA. That i sSO funny! I am sorry, I"ve been behind on reading blogs!

Fri Dec 08, 09:57:00 AM  
Blogger ShaggaBear (Linda) said...

the part about the underwire cracked me up! That has happened to me. UGH!

Thankfully I just have one to dress up and send out the door - with her Daddy to take the pictures cause it is just way too cold to go stand out there myself!

Fri Dec 08, 09:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home