Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Pop-Music Psychology

Listening to music isn't nearly as fun if you can't sing along. Singing along means listening to the words, but this is often difficult when the only radio you hear is while riding in a van with three kids strapped in behind you.

But today, I decided I was just going to pay attention. I cranked up the radio to drown out the sound of the kids. Okay, I was really completely ignoring them, but that's a different story altogether.

Two songs came on that I have "heard" before, but never really paid much attention to.

The first was "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" by Elton John.

I guess he wasn't too enamored with the high life. And by "he" I mean the guy in the song, not, like the actual Sir himself. Because if it was actually HIM, then I'd be confused.

The other song was "Back at One" by Brian McKnight. Here is the refrain:

One, you're like a dream come true
Two, just wanna be with you
Three, girl it's plain to see
That you're the only one for me and
Four, repeat steps one through three
Five, make you fall in love with me

If ever I believe my work is done
Then I'll start back at one

Upon figuring out exactly what he was saying, my initial thought was: "HUH?" Because, buddy, how exactly do you repeat a step that is "you're like a dream come true." You didn't actuallly DO anything, how can you REPEAT it? Or is this, like, something you are just going to say to the woman, over and over and over? If that's the case, then uh, that's stupid. You're gonna end up sounding like a robot, and if she doesn't run away from you screaming because she can't possibly listen to you spouting off another round of steps one through three, then she is going to leave because you haven't actually done anything like, have a real conversation with her, or try to get to know her, or, I DON'T KNOW - display your faithfulness maybe?

So, basically, I take issue with your step five.

But that's just me.

Regardless, I like the song. It makes me grateful that my husband never subscribed to your method for making a woman fall in love with him.

Sing on, dude.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Shalee said...

Oh Lori; this is a good one...

Wed Jan 31, 02:57:00 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

seriously, song dude...DO something! Then write a song about it and repeat it over and over and over and over...

Wed Jan 31, 03:37:00 PM  
Blogger Dana~Are We There Yet? said...

I've that the exact same thought about that song!

Then this morning, I heard "every move you make, every step you take...I'll be watchin' you." CREEPY! Why was that a hit?

Thu Feb 01, 09:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home