Sunday, March 18, 2007

Blanket Statements

I was thinking the other day about how I need to put away some of the blankets that we've had out over the last few months. (Thank goodnees I didn't, because it's gotten downright cold again.)

There is one blanket in particular that really got me thinking. (It doesn't take much, eh?) It is a simple bed quilt, really. Light blue on one side, dark blue on the other. I have had it since I was about five when my sister and I got matching ones from my grandmother for Christmas. I think it was more like my mom picked them out with the money my grandmother sent, but I have always loved this quilt. It is SO WARM!

The quilt, however, isn't doing so well. This comes as no surprise, given how long I've owned it. The seams are torn and the polyester batting is showing through. I was thinking that I needed to throw it out. But have I mentioned that it is WARM? And that I've had it since I was FIVE? An odd thing to be sentimental about, but what can I say? I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of it.

When I looked at two of the other blankets we have out, I realized that they have a "story" as well. There is the one I bought when I was in college to hang on the wall of my bedroom as a layer of insulation. The two exterior walls of my room made it so. very. cold. A cheap blanket with a pink and blue design that is supposed to make it look like a pieced quilt, it has since been on a lot of picnics with our family - both indoors and out.

The last blanket, the only one of the three that really IS a handmade quilt, was given to me as a Christmas gift by my mother-in-law.... about two months after I started dating Paul. Either she really, really liked me, or she was doing some sort of reverse dowry thing in an effort to get rid of Paul... which it really was is, to this day, debateable. ; )

It seemed odd to me that I have a story associated with each of these blankets.

Odder still is, as I have been working to finish up* a quilt that my Sunday School class is making, I have actully prayed for the baby who will receive it: that he will treasure it, that he will know the story behind it, and that the story of the ladies he never knew who made it for him will bring glory to God and Christ to his life.

Here it is.
"Cat Nap" pattern is by Marla Stefanelli

*This would be why I haven't had much time to post lately. The baby was born a month early and I was scrambling to get this done!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful and adorable quilt you and your friends have made! I still have the quilt you made for me for a wedding present. Do you remember that? I don't know how you find the time, but I, and many others I'm sure, are glad that you do! Love ya, Linda

Sun Mar 18, 10:28:00 PM  
Blogger ShaggaBear (Linda) said...

That quilt is so adorable! I love it! Did you hand quilt it, or machine quilt?

I'm collecting squares for a 100 good wishes quilt for our next daughter from China. I'm trying to find a pattern I like and also debating hand vs. machine quilting. Any suggestions? I've never made a quilt before.

Sun Mar 18, 10:46:00 PM  
Blogger Heather Hansen said...

The blanket is SO CUTE!

Mon Mar 19, 12:47:00 PM  
Blogger Shalee said...

That is beautiful.

Do I have to have a baby to get one of your gorgeous quilts? It might just be worth all the effort...

Mon Mar 19, 02:05:00 PM  
Blogger Luisa Perkins said...

It's a funny coincidence that blankets are on your mind. We have one that is heinous to look upon, but so warm and comfy--and also has much sentiment attached to it. I have decided to make a quilt using this blanket as batting. That way, it will still be with us, but in a much more aesthetically pleasing form.

Tue Mar 20, 09:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home