Sunday, November 06, 2005

Getting to Know me

I think I may have picked up a few new readers just prior to and during the trip to China. Now seems like a good time to do a "getting to know me" post. Hopefully even my faithful readers will learn something new.

Here are some little known facts about me:

> There was a time in my life when I considered being a hand model. But only my left hand. I don't think my right hand would be "photogenic" because I have an ugly callous on my middle finger from where I rest pens/pencils when I write.

> During my junior high and high school years I was a big, huge West Point geek. It was pretty crazy. I'd visit whenever I could and I loved meeting cadets. I got to sit (well, stand, actually) with the corps during a football game once. It was a fun thing arranged by the only female cadet I knew, and I just thought she was the coolest. I went to an Army v. Navy game once too.

> The "baddest" things I ever did when I was a teenager: I skipped eighth period once during my senior year... and I had to walk by the principal in the hallway to do it. Also, I sat in the car while my friends drove around stealing street signs one night. I think that makes me an accomplice or something. Oh, and I lied to Heather's parents one night about where we were going. We wanted to go to the beach at night and just hang out, but we didn't think they'd dig that idea. So we told them we were going somewhere else. I could've sworn we lied to my mom about it too, but Heather says my mom knew the truth... even about not telling her parents the real story. I have a feeling Heather is right. Perhaps mom can confirm, if she recalls the event.

> I had a crush on Michael Jackson when I was in the fifth grade.

> I am thirty-two years old and I have never:
- gone skiing
- seen any of the Star Trek, Star Wars, Rocky, or Halloween movies
- been drunk
- been high
- eaten sauerkraut
- carried/owned a cell phone

> I have no desire to do any of the things listed above.

> I am not a friendly person, in that I don't say "hi" to people I pass by or smile a whole lot. People take this the wrong way sometimes and think something is wrong. Usually nothing is wrong, I just don't do those things because I don't think of it.

> I absolutely get overwhelmed with life if I don't have regular, adult conversation about stimulating topics AND time by myself. This is probably why this stage of motherhood is sometimes stressful to me.

> I like to write letters to people - the old fashioned way.

> I always wanted to be a teacher. I never remember wanting to be anything else. I think this is the case because I never realized that I was good at anything other than school.

> Don't worry, I realize it now.

> And, BTW, I was a great teacher, too - IMO.

> Some cool things I have done:
- flown in a hot air balloon
- been a member of the studio audience for a taping of "Hollywood Squares."
- studied NMR at Penn State
- went on a mission trip to Azerbaijan
- been to China! :)

> Things a lot of people like that I just don't get into:
- being a beach bum
- watching TV, or purchasing large TVs
- watching movies
- makeup (I don't wear any.)
- Longaberger baskets
- sporty cars and SUVs

> I can learn well from written directions. I have taught myself to knit and crochet this way.

> My husband recently asked what my perfect day would be like. I haven't answered him yet because I was thinking day = 24 hours. He was thinking day = "from the time you get up to the time you go to bed." But I thought I would share my perfect 24 hour day: up in the morning. Breakfast at Hardees - egg and cheese biscuit, hash rounds, and a coffee. Drive over to Waynesville to putz around at the Fabric Shack and buy some beautiful, if overpriced, fabric that I have no idea what I will do with. Get my hair washed, cut, and dried at a nice salon. Have a quiet time at a quiet, untrendy coffee shop that isn't overrun with teenagers hyped up on caffeine. I'd like to have quiche for lunch. Then, I want to check into a hotel which is near a Micheal's or a Hobby Lobby. I'd spend the rest of my night scrapbooking, so I would need to be near one in case I needed supplies or ideas. I'd stop for dinner (roomservice?) and to watch Letterman just long enough to hear the top ten list. Then I 'd sleep - uninterrupted, until the next morning when I would return home. (And now I am thinking, that's a lot of egg to eat in one day... hmm)

The End.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You told me and Dad where you were going, and, though we would have preferred that you not go, you did.
In my van if I remember correctly.

Sun Nov 06, 11:46:00 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

I love these kind of posts. Getting to know people better is so interesting.

I've enjoyed reading about your adoption experience. I hope the family is settling into a routine now.You are in my prayers.

Mon Nov 07, 07:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the large TV thing is way out of line

Wed Nov 09, 10:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about an extreme makeover on one of the TV shows on that perfect day. wouldn't that look good on a 42 inch plasma screen TV

Thu Nov 10, 11:45:00 AM  
Blogger PEZmama said...

From what people tell me, EVERYTHING looks good on a 42 inch plasma screen.

Nice to have you back, Bill.

L

Thu Nov 10, 12:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home