Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Casting Call

I took Ms. Bao to the orthopedist today. This child is no dummy. It doesn't matter that there is dinosaur wallpaper border or a box of toys in the corner. She knows an exam room when she sees it. And if you are wearing scrubs, she will begin wailing the MOMENT you come within a three foot radius of her. Touch her, and the flailing begins.

Well, the nurse showed us in, asked us a few questions, and quickly sensed that Bao was not about to stop crying any time soon. So, he told me that he'd let me remove her ace wrap, sling, and splint so that he didn't get her any more upset than she already was. While we waited for the doctor, that's what I did.

When he finally came in, he asked one or two questions. When he realized that I had not yet seen the X-rays, he showed me out into the hall where he called up her films on a big computer screen. It made me want to cry! My baby's arm is broken!

But he said that the bone was not displaced at all, so it should heal quickly. He said they would put a cast on it. I asked if it would be wrapped to her chest again, and he said no. Yippee! Then he said that since Baoy is so young, she should heal quickly.

That is the same thing the Urgent Care doctor told me on Saturday. But then she said it would take 4-6 weeks to heal, and I didn't think that sounded all that "quick." I shared that thought with the orthopedist, and he said, "Oh, no. We don't leave adults in a cast that long. No, we'll have you back in just over two weeks and it should be healed by then."

Double Yahoo! Two weeks! And she gets to "use" her arm again. I am so excited.

Well, I will spare you all the details. But I will tell you that when we returned to the exam room, Ms. Boo had already consulted with the nurse and decided that Baoy's cast would be purple.

So, on went the purple cast.

And, on went Bao's wailing.

Nonstop.

Just as the two nurses finished up and "backed off," I was able to put her shirt back on, and I think she got the idea that the ordeal might be over. She calmed down.

But, in walked the doctor. He looked at the cast, (Baoy started crying again because, after all, he DID touch her arm) and determined that it did not go up high enough on her arm.

So, in comes another nurse to remove the first cast, and put on a new one.

I'll give you one guess how Bao responded to that.

She was drenched in sweat by the time it was all over.

But, we made it through. And by the time we got out to the parking lot, she was just as chipper as can be... and has been all night.

And while we are on this subject, I would just like to say that the last month or so has been a bunch of fun with Bao (poor sleeping aside.) She understands us when we speak to her and has really started responding favorably. She is using signs to communicate basic needs. She is trying to say a new word or two. She loves to be a "helper." We are teaching her to nod "yes" when appropriate, and she seems to get excited when she can do it. Whenever she makes this cute "smoochie" face that she likes to do, I am trying to teach her how to give kisses. She plays games with us and tries to be cute or funny. She really, really feels like part of the family - more than ever before - more fully - as if she likes it that we're her family. I can't even tell you how much I love this little girl. She is so precious to me.

10 Comments:

Blogger boomama said...

Those cheeks. OH those cheeks. She is absolutely adorable in her purple cast. And bless her bones (bad pun, sorry) for having to endure such a long doctor's visit.

Don't forget to make her that chocolate pudding so that she can slap her - well, you know. I'm still laughing about that.

Tue May 16, 11:20:00 PM  
Blogger PEZmama said...

Boo - rest assured that Bethany will not be having any "slap yo mama" puddin' until AFTER that cast is removed!

Tue May 16, 11:29:00 PM  
Blogger Addie said...

She looks so cute! Poor baby. But she can wear that purple cast well! And I love reading how things are going with you guys.

Wed May 17, 12:44:00 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

How adorable she is! Hope her arms heals very quickly and that the removal of the cast goes more smoothly than the application! Blessings.

Wed May 17, 09:01:00 AM  
Blogger Heather Hansen said...

she has such a cute smoochy face! Makes me want to squeese and kiss it. I love the cast. I think it makes her look even sweeter. I don't envy the broken arm though. Poor Bethany. :(

Wed May 17, 01:47:00 PM  
Blogger Shalee said...

That is a doll baby if I ever did see one! Whew... you both made it.

Wed May 17, 04:48:00 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Precious! (Nice, my hubby is in the background telling my dauhgter how addicted I am to Blogging.) Anyway, these will make for great scrapbook memories at some point!

Wed May 17, 09:25:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Precious post--and I feel your pain, Grayson dislocated his shoulder when he was 13 months old. Not my fault, but I sure felt like a bad mom! She looks adorable in the cast, though:)

Thu May 18, 09:42:00 PM  
Blogger sarahgrace said...

Yes, yes, if I can be an echo here, she is such a cutie!

Fri May 19, 06:29:00 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

She looks so cute in her cast (can I say that?) WOW two weeks. That is amazing. I know you are grateful.

Sun May 21, 10:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home