Tuesday, July 25, 2006

A little bit bummed

Paul and I had a conversation the other night about whether we would continue as Sunday school teachers to the "singles' class" at our church. I felt torn about it. Not because I don't love the class, I DO! But mostly it's because I don't think I have been doing a very good job of meeting the needs of the members. And, with homeschooling about to begin in a few weeks, that leaves even less of me to give to the class. Considering how much I personally enjoy the class, and sincerely care about its members, it isn't an easy decision for me.

We have decided not to teach the class. For a while after that decision was made, I felt tremendously sad. I really do love the people in there. Selfishly, maybe. My vain imagination is already inventing the argument that if I REALLY loved them, I would have done more to meet their needs. And that may very well be true. I have not met the challenge of that ministry for a long time. So perhaps this is a cop-out. Instead of stepping it up, we just step down...

Regardless, I am confident that God will continue to use me in ministry, though I am not sure how right now. I am hopeful about what is in store. But right now that means leaving something I enjoyed. And that has me a bit bummed.

3 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Sometimes you have to leave the good behind to make room for the best that God has to offer. Also, you are giving someone else an opportunity to step up when they might not have anywhere else!=)

Wed Jul 26, 10:29:00 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

You know, Lori, I wonder if God isn't leading you to where you're more needed. Home schooling, in my opinion, is probably the highest calling there is. You can only stretch yourself so thin before the people who reallyneed you suffer. So give yourself a pat on the back and don't fret about it. I think you're doing OK.

Wed Jul 26, 09:49:00 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

L, remember, change can be good...especially in a ministry setting. It's very easy to "lose" yourself and forget what's important. Also, God knows who you are and what you're capable of. Maybe he is telling you to step up somewhere else right now.

Horray for you for recognizing your priorities! :)

Thu Jul 27, 01:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home