Friday, July 21, 2006

Pictures from Savannah

I just looked back through the photos I took while in Alabama/Savannah and, you know, I don't really have that many. But since you are all asking, I will post a few. (There are none with me in them, because I was always behind the camera. And, at her request, there are none of Boomama.)

Here is a picture of the fried green tomatoes we ate at Paula's restaraunt. They were delightful. Better than delightful, actually, but my vocabulary is too limited for me to find the right word. Crunchy outside, soft and sweet inside. The tomato garnish on top was delicious, and so was the onion relish.

Next to the tomatoes is a plate that contained two items. On the bottom was something called a "hoe cake." It looked like a thick pancake. Boomama explained that it is cornbread made without flour... and they used to cook them in a fire on the end of a hoe. Hence, the name. I was not a big fan of the hoe cake.

But, the other thing on the plate, the cheese biscuit, was wonderful. Very dense and oh, so cheesy. And I have to love anything that so closely resembles me.

This picture on the right is of my plate after I returned from the buffet. At twelve o'clock were the mashed potatoes topped with beef stew. Both were delicious. The potatoes were very thick and creamy, with just a little bit of skin in them.

At three o'clock was the macaroni and cheese. It was good, but nothing to call home about. ;) Continuing clockwise, I had black-eyed peas. Didn't like those so much. But I did like the collard greens. It was the first time I'd ever had them. They had a spicy kick to them. And they were not soggy, which was a bit of a surprise to the connoisseurs of southern food in the group. We asked the waiter to tell us how they were prepared, and he came back with detailed instructions from the chef.

Next on the plate was the pork loin. Nothing fantastic there. I didn't think it was particularly moist or flavorful. And the broccoli tasted just like - broccoli. It didn't seem like anything out of the ordinary.

I finished my meal with Ooey, gooey butter cake. I was going to get the peach cobbler, but then I realized the butter cake was actually CHOCOLATE, and I could not resist. I know several of you probably have the recipe for this, so you already know that it was very good. Almost creamy inside.

And here is the picture I took of Robin, Addie, and Theresa outside of the restaraunt before our meal. It's a good thing I took it when I did, because AFTER the meal we all had to unbutton our pants and let our tummies flop out!

10 Comments:

Blogger Addie said...

It was YUMMY!!! But I think I enjoyed the company more. (Yes, I'm attempting to be cheesier than those biscuits. But it's true.) :-)

Fri Jul 21, 07:05:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks for finally sharing! All of us who couldn't be there were beginning to wonder if you guys had things to HIDE ;-)

Haven't had the chocolate gooey cake yet...I bet it's to die for!

Fri Jul 21, 10:16:00 PM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

Fun to see the three of you together. Adorable.

Fri Jul 21, 11:26:00 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

How fun! And the food looks wonderful--the kind of thing served at a church pot-luck (only yours is probably better). I really miss home.

Sat Jul 22, 01:40:00 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Ok, why was I squatted down like that? Like, I'm so tall or something. ha ha! Boy I loved those fried green tomatoes. They were yum-o.

Sat Jul 22, 10:27:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

What fun! So glad you all had a good time. Maybe next time we can all go.

Is the gooey cake anything like Ooey Gooey from Sam's?

Sun Jul 23, 10:05:00 PM  
Blogger PEZmama said...

Brenda - I have no idea what the Ooey Gooey cake from Sam's is like. SORRY!

Sun Jul 23, 10:26:00 PM  
Blogger Shalee said...

Loved this post! I can tell that you all had such a blest time together. Still attempting to not be jealous. I'm going to start praying that next time, I get to go too!

Thanks for sharing your opinions on everything.

Mon Jul 24, 11:43:00 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Sweet post Lori - you posted some pics I was going to too. Love me some Fried Green Tomatoes!! My MIL is still in town so I have been absent from the blogging world this week. I'll be back soon.

Tue Jul 25, 11:01:00 AM  
Blogger Luisa Perkins said...

Wow, what a fun trip! I think I'll dig some collards from last summer out of the freezer and fry them up in some bacon fat tonight...yum!

Tue Mar 27, 04:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home