Thursday, July 20, 2006


Thirteen Things I learned on my trip to Alabama


Okay, so it will be Friday before anyone reads this, but at least I WROTE it on Thursday...

1. Southerners call crackers "nabs."

2. "Toehead" is not a word. "Towhead" is. And I have been using it incorrectly.

3. When I go south of Ohio, I start thinking in a southern accent. But, can you blame me? I no sooner leave the state than I come upon this:



4. Apparently, Robin, does not actually live with her husband and daughters. Instead, she has taken up residence here.

5. If a Southerner doesn't know another Southerner, then they know someone who does. (And, for the record, I am convinced that every last inhabitant of every southern state has no more than four degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon.)

6. That hotel key we couldn't find: It was in the pocket of my grey shorts.

7. I didn't pack enough shirts for the trip.

8. I do NOT like black-eyed peas.

9. But mmm, MMMM, I like me some collard greens.

10. Paula Deen: smoker. (Oh, the horror!)

11. When the Alaska oil pipeline was opened, it took three and a half weeks from the time they began pumping before any oil appeared at the other end. (Yeah, seriously, I learned that on the trip.)

12. The radio receiver that is apparently implanted in Addie's head allows her to enjoy commercial-free music all day long. (But before you get all jealous about that, consider that this station frequently broadcasts the theme song from this show.)

13. Now, see, I did not know this:

















Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. Melissa

(leave your link in comments, I'll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



15 Comments:

Blogger Heather Hansen said...

You've joined the 13 cult - I can't believe it. :)

Glad you had fun. I'll admit that I'm jealous and I wish that I had been invited. I'll leave the collard greens to you.

Fri Jul 21, 02:18:00 AM  
Blogger PEZmama said...

This is probably the first and the last time that I will do a TT. It just seemed appropriate to do a list... and it happened to be Thursday.

After all, I don't want to get sucked into some kind of cult!

Fri Jul 21, 09:06:00 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Ok, I'm sorry to do this after our conversation, but I am ROTFL! You know, literally. I did laugh out loud and with my cough even worse, I sound like the smoker Paula. Also, I missed the pipeline discussion. When did that happen?

Fri Jul 21, 09:35:00 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Enjoyed your TT. I did one, too.

Sounds like the trip was great. I'm totally jealous. But who knew Paula SMOKES?! I'm with you on the peas & collards.

Ain't the South fun, y'all?

Fri Jul 21, 11:28:00 AM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

Nice to hear from you again. I love black eyed peas so much I buy a can of them and heat them in the microwave. Eat them just like that, and only when my husband is out of town. Thats the whole dinner. He hates them, even the smell of them.

Did not know about the nabs. Nor the Paula Deene smoking thing. Sounds like you had a fun, fun time. Good for you :-)

Fri Jul 21, 11:38:00 AM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

PS I did a TT too, but am completely clueless as to how to get the link, etc. Not sure I really care either.

Fri Jul 21, 11:40:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Nabs? Is that like short for Nabisco or does it mean something else? It's not an Arkansas thing, for sure, but I haven't heard it in Georgia either. Is it a Texas thing?

I don't like collard greens, but I do like black-eyed peas.

So glad you all had fun! I can't wait for my turn. Good thing you found the room key!

Fri Jul 21, 11:52:00 AM  
Blogger PEZmama said...

Robin - You didn't miss anything. The pipeline thing was something I learned on Wednesday night in my hotel room, on the history channel!

Brenda - I don't know if nabs is related to Nabisco. And Boomama taught me that, so maybe it is just an Alabama or Mississippi thing. I don't know.

Melissa, thanks for stopping by. I am heading over to check you out as soon as I get some lunch for my kids!

Fri Jul 21, 12:18:00 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

OK. The sign on that water tower is the funniest thing I've seen in ages. And will someone please remind me what nabs are? It's on the tip of my brain and I cannot remember. Black-eyed peas. I truly love them, but only made from scratch, not the canned kind. What a fun trip. When is someone going to throw us a photo?

Fri Jul 21, 12:49:00 PM  
Blogger Addie said...

OK, well I was thinking that was a great topic of discussion that I missed on Sunday night or Monday morning. I thought all of you teaching degree-ers got together and taught each other a thing or too.

Bev, if you like black eyed peas out of a can, you would've been in hog heaven at Paula's. Despite the fact that she smokes.

Fri Jul 21, 12:50:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

NABS is also said in VA & NC. I guess it is short for Nabisco (never thought about that), though Lance makes the best ones! Barb, they're the orange crackers w/ peanut butter in the middle.

Maybe it's a southeastern saying? I wouldn't know what else to call them, though! Does anyone know the proper name?

Fri Jul 21, 01:49:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Oh, saw on your profile that you like George Winston. I've seen him twice in concert...years ago. Don't you just LOVE the "Winter" album?!

Fri Jul 21, 01:52:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I mean, "December"

Fri Jul 21, 01:54:00 PM  
Blogger Shalee said...

You can keep the collard greens and the black-eyed peas. But thanks for sharing everything else!

Jealous, but loving the reports.

Fri Jul 21, 03:17:00 PM  
Blogger PEZmama said...

Oh, my. It's like a party around here with all these comments!

We call the orange crackers with peanut butter inside "peanut butter crackers." Terribly creative, I know.

Melissa- I saw GW in concert too, and it was fantastic. I love "December." It is the only one I own. (I haven't bought music in AGES!)

Fri Jul 21, 06:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home