Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I Know I Have Issues...

I started reading The Good Earth. Fiction book numero dos for the year.

Pulitzer Prize winning book, this one is.

But here's the thing: I read the first hundred or so pages (there are 397) and was interested enough to keep reading. After that, I found that I became increasingly bored... and now that I am on the heels of two chapters (or was it three?) in a row devoted solely to Wang Lung's obsession with a prostitute, I am just bored out of my mind.

I have no desire to read any more about the prostitute, or how much Wang Lung wants her. I have no desire to read about him squandering all of his money on her. I have no desire to read any more about his life. The land. His ignorance.

None.

What a waste - to read half of a book and then get stuck not wanting to read one more word. You know what this book has really made me want to do? Quilting. I want to go work on a quilt and not waste any more time on this book.

Pulitzer Prize winner. And I am going to bring it back to the library half-read.

I guess it won't be the first time my idea of a good book didn't coincide with the opinions of, uh, whoever those people are who decide what books are good....

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Heather Hansen said...

ha ha ha.

Stop reading. ;)

I am a fiction reader... I don't get that you read non-fiction. The thought turns my eyeballs up into my head.

Thu Jul 12, 02:06:00 PM  
Blogger Thea @ It's Me Vs. Me said...

Hi there! I just wanted to let you know that have a gift for you on my blog! Stop by to check it out!!

Thu Jul 12, 04:08:00 PM  
Blogger Noodle said...

I totally agree with you. I usually finish a book once I've started, but sometimes I just can't. And as my son has figured out -- life is too short to read books I don't like. :)

I don't think I've ever read The Good Earth, but I felt exactly the same way about The Shipping News.

Oh, and I'm a non-fiction reader too. :)

Thu Jul 12, 05:26:00 PM  
Blogger Luisa Perkins said...

I hate that book. No need to keep reading, in my opinion.

Thu Jul 12, 09:37:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Never read it, but if you want to quilt and not read it, by all means do!

(That's Pearl Buck, right? My parents live really close to her old homestead in the Philly area. I've also never visited it. Sigh - Pearl Buck and I are just not meant to be.)

Fri Jul 13, 09:03:00 AM  
Blogger Shalee said...

For some reason, that one has never said "read me" to me. Glad I'm glad I didn't fight the feeling...

Fri Jul 13, 11:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home