Friday, May 19, 2006

Time management?

Bev tagged me to share a my tips for time management. First it was cleaning tips, then time management. If I was any good at time management, I probably would have read the post in which she tagged me a week ago. But I just read it today. So, now that I am totally behind, I will share my time management tips with you.

I made laundry prep a part of my evening routine. I sort a load before I go to bed. I treat whatever stains need to be treated. (If I don't do this, I inevitably find the one thing that needs to be treated right before the washer starts agitating. And I means "agitating" in more ways than one. So, if stains haven't been pretreated, they never have enough time for the cleaner to soak in before they go in the wash.) Anyway, I load all of it into a laundry basket and when I get up in the morning, it is ready to throw in the wash. I don't have to fight the kids off to get the clothes sorted and in the machine.

As Boomama stated in her tips, I try to write my grocery list in order of the aisles at the store. My mom always did that, and it makes sense to me to do it that way. Otherwise, I end up missing something. And I DO NOT shop with children.

When the kids need to get dressed in the morning, I tell them "get dressed." And, for the most part (unless they have chosen a bathing suit in the dead of winter) I let them wear whatever they picked out. This way I don't have to pick stuff for them. And, "letting go" of the "need" for them to match saves a lot of time (and energy) in the form of power struggles. On the days when we have to be out of the house early and/or I would like them to look fairly presentable, I have them set out clothes the night before.

I Christmas shop year round. I cannot stand the Christmas rush. So, I avoid it at all costs.

I have learned how to say "no." There are a lot of things I can do. But I can't do them all. And I know you know what I mean. I don't go to all the MOPS play dates. I don't sing in the church choir. Our kids are not signed up for every activity under the sun. I decide what is most important to me and let the rest go. I think a lot of times we don't feel like we have enough time to get things done because we have spread ourselves too thin.

And I don't watch TV much at all.

None of this post is meant to imply that I manage my time well, per se. But these are some of the things I do.

And Bev, how about if next time you tag me for something that I would be more qaualified to address. Like my favorite raw cake batter recipe, for example.

4 Comments:

Blogger Shalee said...

This is too scary... first you take my x-ray answer, and now you know many of my management tips. Are we twins separated at birth? Just thought I'd ask.

If not, we have to address the fact that we may be kindred spirits, especially in the cooking department. You share your cake batter recipe, I'll share cookie dough...

Fri May 19, 06:28:00 PM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

Hello there - I just found your post, but I've actually been managing my time better the last few days so it took me awhile. (House is a bit cleaner too.)

Christmas tip was great - I too hate being crushed by other people doing the obligatory shopping. But the saying no, thats the one that gets most of us. Anne Ortlund, Disciplines of a Beautiful Woman (my all time favorite non-fiction) says to now and then make a list of what I'm doing I shouldnt do, then a list of what I'm not doing I should or would like to do. I'm constantly having to take stuff off so I can put things like sleep, soak in the tub, spend time with people I love. Thanks for your post to all of us. xoxoxo

Sat May 20, 09:24:00 AM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

I also loved telling your kids to "get dressed". I have a friend who fights, daily, with her daughter over what she will wear and how to fix her hair. This little girl is in elementary school and would like to wear jeans and a pony tail. I suspect that mom is going to have many battles to come. She doesnt know how blessed she is to have one who just wants to "get dressed".

Sat May 20, 09:44:00 AM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

And yes, I would love your raw cake batter; I'm impressed that anyone still makes cake from raw batter; matter of fact I'm impressed anyone makes cake at all. Last night I bought half a pie....

Sat May 20, 09:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home