Monday, May 28, 2007

Oh, For the Love of Pete (or Paul... or Jack)

I don't know who Pete is. And if I knew him, there's no guarantee that I'd love him. But you know what? I don't love the new scale.

Can we talk about this?

Remember last week. I was a little perturbed with myself for actually gaining weight. My husband, Paul, (whom I DO love, by the way, and even moreso after his comment) said, "I bet if you weigh yourself tomorrow morning you'll be down a little."

My husband would know. He is a runner. And by runner I mean, three Chicago Marathons, one New York, a few Bostons, two or three Columbus, and list of local (even international) road races that would be way too long to mention. Anyway, the man weighs himself. He knows how food and certain activities will affect the poundage. I won't mention my bitterness about the fact that we both pretty much weigh the same thing, even though I am a full five inches shorter than him... (it's never occured to me until now that the old "Jack Sprat" rhyme might well describe the appearance of the two of us... the analogy breaks down, however, when you consider the fact that he eats all the fat around here, and I eat all the lean. Am I digressing?)

ANYHOO...

None of this was going through my mind when Paul suggested that I weigh myself again on Tuesday morning. He said his weight was always up on Monday morning because we tend to eat out (read, MORE) on the weekends. So I was encouraged. And I weighed myself on Tuesday morning. Wouldn't you know, I was down to 147.5. I'd lost my first pound since the beginning of the challenge.

So I get all excited thinking, WOW, maybe I can lose another pound this week... how cool would that be? And I kept weighing myself too.

147.5

Every. Time.

When my eating/exercising were good - 147.5
When my eating/exercising were bad - 147.5

Interesting.

This morning, I weighed myself again, and guess what? 147.5

Paul was actually home today when I weighed myself and I said, "I think there is something wrong with this scale."

"Why?"

"Because it says 147.5 every time I step on it."

"Huh, it says 147.5 every time I step on it too."

So, I asked him, because I am CERTAIN he did not read the directions before using the scale, "Did you zero it?"
"How do you do that?"

So I show him, and he steps on. 150.

I get on right after him and GUESS WHAT?

147.5

"You didn't zero it," he says.

To myself: I don't NEED to. The DIRECTIONS said you only need to zero it after it has been MOVED, and the scale hasn't moved.

But I kept quiet. Rezeroed the scale. Stepped on.

Guess what?

146.0!

My husband, ever the optimist, gets all excited. "See! You DID lose weight!"

Me, ever the pessimist, is thinking, how do we know which weight is RIGHT?

So, in the interest of getting some REPRODUCIBLE results, I weighed myself again.

Do I even need to tell you? You DO know what it said, right?

Now I'm just wondering. You think there's any chance that my thyroid's name is Pete?

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that, with all your fretting about weight, you are actually weighing yourself down. Get back to counting your blessings and you'll see that, in fact, ". . . [the] burden is light[er] . . ."

Mon May 28, 02:20:00 PM  
Blogger Jeana said...

First, I read somewhere that you have to get rid of 3500 calories to lose a pound, which takes more than, you know, A DAY.

Second of all, I read somewhere else that when you start to lose weight, initially your body will fight it (you know, that whole storing calories in order to survive thing).

Third, not to get too personal, but your womanly week makes you retain water (and hence weight). Don't give up, chill out, and keep doing what you're doing and it'll happen.

And I'll skip the part where I say that my goal weight is more than what you weigh now, and call you nasty names.

Mon May 28, 03:04:00 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I say not all scales are equally friendly. Go to the store and put one of each model on the floor. Step on them, one at a time, and the one that says the lowest is the best scale and you should buy it right away. Women need friends like that!

Mon May 28, 07:14:00 PM  
Blogger Luisa Perkins said...

Are you measuring as well as weighing? My measurements always change before my weight does. Maybe if you measured, you'd get more satisfying results. Remember (and I know you know this): muscle weighs more but has less volume than fat.

Mon May 28, 10:33:00 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Hang in there dear, you will succeed.

Tue May 29, 02:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny! I have my own Scale for Sale post on my blog today. I'm considering buying a digital scale, though. Any tips?

Tue May 29, 02:39:00 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

I hate scales. I pop in at my doctors office every week. They don't charge me and they have a state of the art digital that weighs to the ounce. I love it. Congrats on the loss!!!

Tue May 29, 02:41:00 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Hmmm.... scales are weird! I do weight myself every morning - I need to or else I go into denial. But I have to stop myself from weighing at night too. I like to do that because I always weigh less in the morning and I like seeing that. But I know I am too dependent on the scale. Grrr...Do we ever get to where we "get it"?

Tue May 29, 02:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of diets don't even want you to get on the scale more than you have to........it is tooooooooo discouraging. Try more like once a week. I noticed pants getting looser before the scales said I had lost any weight. Janice

Wed May 30, 09:14:00 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

I've been trying to cut back on food lately and run. So today the scale said 2 lbs higher than it did yesterday--afternoon, not morning.

I've decided not to weigh myself or look in the mirror for a week or so.

Sun Jun 03, 02:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home