Sunday, May 21, 2006

Interruptions.

Riding home tonight I was listening to the local 80's station. They were doing an all-request show and the requests rocked. I punched the ceiling of the van a few times while I was singing along.

Don and I were singing the duet version of "Boys of Summer" when Ms. Boo interrupted. (I know children do not understand the significance of singing a duet with Don Henley, but can she not see that I am POUNDING ON THE CEILING, for goodness sake?) I quickly quieted Boo down, and was able to concentrate again. On the road, you ask? Heavens, no. On the visions. Visions of that video (one of VERY few I can remember) came drifting into my head. Just as we get to my favorite line (out on the road today, I saw a Dead Head sticker on a Cadillac. A little voice inside my head said don't look back, you can never look back,) I smiled to myself. Because, if YOU remember the video, you know that he does, indeed, look back.

Suddenly, I am interrupted AGAIN, and my cheerful countenance gives way to furrowed eyebrows.

Boo again? No, no, no. Something much more insidious.

It's my own brain. In overdrive.

It went kinda like this:

Me, to myself: If he had to look BACK to see her, how did he know there was a Dead Head sticker on her car? Do people put stickers on the front of their cars? Is that, like, some kind of tradition among Dead Heads that they put stickers on the FRONT of their cars? Am I confused? Is there some way that he could have seen the sticker on the BACK of the car, yet still needed to turn around to see her again? Could they have been driving in the same direction and then passed her? Or did one of them make a turn? Didn't the video show them driving in opposite directions? Am I not remembering it correctly?

STOP IT, BRAIN! You are ruining the whole song! STOP, STOP, STOP!

I am so totally serious. This is the brain I live with.

Every. Single. Day.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger sarahgrace said...

I've got one of those brains myself! LOL! I know that when I can't figure out the lyrics to a song, I go look them up and actually read them, but in this case- artistic license? The words just sounded good? I vote for he saw the deadhead sticker as he was passing and decided to look back. ; )

Thanks for reminding me- this a song I want on my iPod!

Mon May 22, 12:33:00 PM  
Blogger Heather Hansen said...

I am afraid.

Mon May 22, 01:37:00 PM  
Blogger Minnie said...

We definitely share a brain.

Mon May 22, 05:56:00 PM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

One of my favorite things is to see people next to me in traffic, rocking out to a song. Then they see you seeing them. They stop, then they start up again - just makes you feel good all over to see other people not minding making complete fools of themselves - only way to improve it would be to get them to roll down the window!

Mon May 22, 11:09:00 PM  
Blogger boomama said...

Maybe he was passing the car, so that he saw the sticker, passed the car, then looked back at the car, not the sticker?

Thanks a lot - because now I'll be trying to figure this out all night long.

Okay - I just looked at sarahgrace's comment and see that she shares my theory - so there are at least three crazies in the world. :-) BUT, if our theory is correct, then the least they could've done was to have Don Henley pass the other car. GAH! Any idiot would know that...

Mon May 22, 11:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a thought, but isn't the "Don't look back" part figurative rather than literal? As in, you now drive a Cadillac, don't look back to when you were a dead head...? Or is it the video that you are trying to figure out?

By the way, when did videos stop making sense in connection with the songs? When Cory Hart said he was wearing his sunglasses at night, it was night and he had his sunglasses on.

Tue May 23, 07:19:00 AM  
Blogger PEZmama said...

Life would be so much easier if "don't look back" was, indeed, figurative. But in the video, he looks back. And I could swear that he looks back at a car that is passing him in the opposite direction.

And, it is entirely possible that I am not remembering the video correctly.

Really though. You have now all been sucked into my whirlwind of thinking about something way too much.

Sorry to have brought you all with me...

Tue May 23, 09:31:00 AM  
Blogger Luisa Perkins said...

This post is one more confirmation that you and I were separated at birth. Unlikely, I know, but somehow true.

Thu Mar 22, 10:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home